Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Oldsmobile: Working on a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue....A/C problem....

Working on a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue....A/C problem.... with the A/C on high blower and max cool it is blowing warm air... Hooked gauges up and found the low side to be at 25 and the high at 160. The clutch is engaged and not cycling. Running it for a little while I noticed that the high side was going up to 250 and the low was dropping down to 22. Then it would go back to the first readings like above. I think I heard a little rattling from the compressor before it shot up.What is my problem please.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Oldsmobile problem.

With pressures of 25 and 160, the system appears to be undercharged. Ideally low side pressure should be around 35 psi. Charge the system and you should achieve cooling once again.

The high side pressure spiking up to 250 could be due to one of the radiator fans not working properly. Make sure the fans are operational and there is nothing blocking the front of the condenser. 225-250 is okay for high side pressure when the system is fully charged.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
why is the clutch engauged if the system is to low to cool ? It's not even cycling...??
These systems will engage with low refrigerant charges. If they are empty, they will not engage. With a variable displacement compressor, some of the systems do not use a cycling switch. Charging the system should bring back cooling.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cool and Thanks