Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  have owned repair shop for 25 years
14541291

Why is my 01 Alero not starting?

Customer Question

Three weeks in a row now my 01 Alero won't start. My mechanic says to leave the key in and on for 30 minutes. It then starts. How can this be fixed?

Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

tims auto repair :

Hi, why does he say to leave the key on 30 minutes?

Does the security light stay on when it won't start?

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Yes, the security light flashes for about 15 minutes then goes out. He says to leave the key in for 30 minutes so the key can be re-learned.

tims auto repair :

Ok, when did you last replace the switch?

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

9/22/11

tims auto repair :

Ok, did that fix your problem for a while?

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Yes for about 2 months. They cleaned all the ground wires twice. Still had a problem. On 11/29 they replaced the BCM and reprogrammed it. I think I bought a lemon!!!

tims auto repair :

And the security light will flash, not stay on..right?

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Last night it was on the whole way home from work, about 15 minutes

tims auto repair :

Ok, will it start now?

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Yes

tims auto repair :

Security light stays on now also?

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

No

tims auto repair :

Ok..so it seems fine now. Correct?

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Yes

tims auto repair :

Ok. Since it seems to do this intermittently, let us replace the ignition switch one more time. It should be under warranty. Then do a relearn

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Once a week for the last 3 weeks I've had to re-learn the key

tims auto repair :

I understand

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Thank you

tims auto repair :

But, the new switch did fix it for 3 months

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Yes

tims auto repair :

It is common to get a bad new switch for these. So, let us try it one more time

JACUSTOMER-iosdfw1j- :

Thanks

tims auto repair :

2001 Oldsmobile Alero V6-3.4L VIN E
Antitheft and Alarm Systems Service and Repair, Procedures: Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
IMPORTANT:
Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.
All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn.
IMPORTANT:
^ The body control module (BCM) must be programming with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures.
^ If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn Pass lock sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
^ If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message . Once a password message is received, and a password is learned , a previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.
Conditions
Use this procedure after replacing any of the following:
^ Passlock sensor
^ BCM
^ PCM
10 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

TOOLS REQUIRED
None
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
IMPORTANT:
The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Thanks for using justanswer