John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master GM technician 40 years experienceASE L1 master technician
6408229

2001 Olds Alero: replace the blower motor switch..2.4L

Customer Question

I need to replace the blower motor switch; how difficult a job is it and how do I proceed with the repair? I have a 2001 Olds Alero GL, 2.4L
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. Not that I doubt what you are replacing but its very rare for a blower switch to fail. Can you maybe tell me what the problem is/was as it may not be the switch.

JACUSTOMER-tk2dovpt- :

I have no heat or defroster. When I turn the knob inside the car nothing happens...

Tracer :

so what you are saying is the blower will not turn on at any speed correct?

JACUSTOMER-tk2dovpt- :

correct

Tracer :

Ok, have to checked the HVAC BLOWER fuse in the right side instrument panel fuse box. a 20 amp fuse?

JACUSTOMER-tk2dovpt- :

no i haven't

JACUSTOMER-tk2dovpt- :

Is this where I should start? I have to be at an appt now, can I continue this chat in about 1 hr?

Tracer :

Ok, for all speds to not work is normally not a switch. You need to swap out or check that fuse first,. If ok? then get up under right side of dash and tap hard on the blower motor with key on and blower set on high as it may be stuck. hitting on it may free it. It looks like this

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-tk2dovpt- :

if this doesn't work, then what?

Tracer :

Its 99% one or the other. high speed bypasses the resistor for the blower, to lose all speeds is just not likely so.. I cant answer you just yet,. I suspect fuse or blower. if fuse? then blower most likely goling bad and caused fuse to blow, they just dont blow for no reason.

JACUSTOMER-tk2dovpt- :

ok, going to appt; can I chat with you when I return?

Tracer :

prob not so i will exit chat and you can come back later

JACUSTOMER-tk2dovpt- :

I replaced the 30amp High Speed Blower fuse(it was blown) under the hood as well as the HVAC Relay...; I still don't have the other speeds of the blower working...does this mean that the blower is going bad; therefore, needing to be replaced?

Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
I dont understand, is the blower working on one speed now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still don't have the 4 lower speeds of my blower. I changed the 30amp fuse under the hood in the fuse box and recovered the HIGH speed only. How do I recover the lower speeds? The blower works fine on high...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

I am sending a schematic , can you read a schematic & use a 12 volt test lamp ?

Starart by checking the instrument panel fuse( R) for voltage at HVAC BLOWER FUSE 20 AMP. If good check for voltage at the resistor on yellow,tan,light blue wires.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here