Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Shop owner, foreign/domestic exp 32 years
13677702

1998 Oldsmobile Bravada: cold start..cranks and acts..ignition switch

I am having a cold start problem with my 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada. On the first start of the day (or after a prolonged non start - 6 hours or more), it cranks and cranks and "acts like" it's going to fire. I'll bet I need to turn the ignition switch 20 - 30 times before I get a hard fire, then a couple more right in a row of quick hard fires before it will FINALLY start. The rest of the day, it starts as soon as you turn the key.

This morning, I had to disconnect the air intake and spray it full of carb cleaner to get it started. The first time, it only ran until the carb cleaner was gone. the second time it started and ran fine the rest of the day. I'm having no idle or running rough issues, but it WILL sometimes die when I brake to a stop when really low on fuel. But that only happens when I'm less than 1/4 tank.

Fuel pressure only goes to 45 then back to 0 when you turn on the key and stays right at 60 when running. Could the fuel pump be going bad in some way? I thought they worked until they didn't.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. Can you re explain what you mean by:Fuel pressure only goes to 45 then back to 0 when you turn on the key and stays right at 60 when running.Are you saying when you just trun key to run in the am it goes to 45 then back to ) then when you get it running pressure holds at 60?

Customer:

Yes that is correct. Before the engine is running, when you turn the key to the first stop, and engage the fuel pump, it goes to 45 psi then back to zero. But once it's running, it stays at 60 psi.(I guess it's psi)

Tracer :

Yes, its psi:) Have you ever had a chance to check the pressure once running, then shut down say 10 minutes and recheck the pressure?

Customer:

No, sorry.

Tracer :

have to check something. back shortly

Customer:

Ok no worries....

Customer:

I mean, I really don't mind replacing the FP if that's what I need to do. But an AC Delco pump is ~$350 and I don't want to spend the $$$ if I don't need to. I don't really trust the aftermarket brands like I do AC Delco.

Tracer :

Ok, my first thought would have been a fuel pressure regulator failing allowing fuel to return to tank slowly after sitting overnight etc. When you turn key to run in the AM, the pump has to fill the lines and then the air has to bleed and yes.. can shows pressures exactly like you have. However,, in the pump there is a plastic hose connecting ppum to top lid of the pump module. It is not uncommon for one of these to get a small hole in it and you will have the same bleed back of fuel from sitting. the clue here my be the stall when heavy braking sometimes. This in a way tend to point more to the pump module hose as suspected. If? you can check pressure after running ok, say within 10 -20 minutes of sitting, if pressure does not drop fast back to 0, then again I go back to pump module. I think pump working ok, but the connection hose may be bad. I hate to see you go to pump and its a regulator. the ONLY way to confirm regulator is we use a special tool to block off the return line from regulator to pump and try in the am. This 100% confirms but.. you do not have the tool so,, by the symptoms listed? I lean to pump module in the tank

Tracer :

I agree with the Delco parts but.. aftermarket have become much better so we do use them with little trouble as well./ hate to say this but is you want to do the regulator, if problem persists, its the pump module

Customer:

So are you saying the connection hose or the entire pump?

Customer:

Or can that connection hose even BE replaced?

Customer:

Or maybe not worth the trouble maybe....

Tracer :

I have yet to find the hose as seperate part unless you rig a type of rubber hose. After all the work to drop tank? dont do this. I think I can send a picture.

Tracer :

see the coiled hose in the middle

Full Size Image

Customer:

Naaa.... if those hoses aren't normally something that goes bad and available.... don't worry about it I won't go that route.

Customer:

Ok thanks....

Tracer :

I agree, dont take shortcuts, was just giving options we have used

Customer:

So it's your recommendation that I go with a Fuel Pressure regulator first and see if that solvs the problem.... and if it doesn't, then a full blown FP assembly?

Tracer :

Its near 100% one or the other.. Let me see if i can send regulator information to you. Back shortly

Tracer :

Click HERE

Customer:

ok, somehow I lost your reply. The last one I saw was the picture of the fuel pressure regulator. Everything keeps opening in a new window and they all say "loading data" LOL

Customer:

Ok, well I'll go ahead and do the FP regulator first. Even if that's not it, the existing one is 13 years old and would need to be replaced soon enough LOL.

Tracer :

let me switch out of chat. it acts up sometimes. back in a second

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Back now. Where are we at? :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok maybe this will work....

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if you are ok if it is not the problem then good idea
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if it DOES end up being the Fuel Pump module, would you recommend another brand other than AC Delco? I hesitate to use anything but AC Delco in this regard, but if you have another brand you like.... I'm open to the suggestion.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
The only other brand would be Borg Warner. Been around lo time, make good products. Delco good pump as well/ Airtex we have problems with
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't seen any BWD pumps, but I'll look. Knowing me though.... I'll end up with the AC Delco pump if that's what I need.

THANK YOU Tracer. I will GLADLY accept your VERY informative answers. I really do appreciate you taking the time to chat with me this evening.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
You are more than welcome . Here to help. Hope it all goes well for you.
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, Shop owner, foreign/domestic exp 32 years