Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  15 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

1998 OLDS CUTLASS: WONT START..SOMETIMES,ANTI THEFT LIGHT FLASHING

Customer Question

1998 OLDS CUTLASS WONT START, SOMETIMES,ANTI THEFT LIGHT FLASHING, NEED PERMANENT SOLUTION
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

When it wont start does the anti theft light flash every time it wont start?

Has anything been replaced recently that may have caused this problem?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes when it flash it wont start, it takes up to 20 min then i can get it goinig, I have not had anything done to it to cause that only oil changes
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

There are three main components in this theft system on this vehicle.First and most common to fail is the ignition cylinder.The cylinder reads the ignition key signal.

Second is the body function control module,this module receives the signal from the key and key cylinder.

Third is the power train control module (engine and transmission computer).This computer receives a start signal from the body control module to allow starting of the vehicle.

All three of these components work together to allow starting of the vehicle when the key is detected and read.The most common to fail is usually the ignition cylinder itself as in most cases it can fail internally and not read the key properly which causes the problem you see here.

What should be done here is to have the fault codes read out of the engine and body computers with a scan tool that can communicate with these computers,then from there what every fault code(s) come up it can then be diagnosed as to which component is at fault and then repaired.A shop or dealer can read these codes.

One other option is to by pass the theft system in your vehicle permanently to by pass this problem and any future problems the vehicle may have with the security system with a by pass kit.

This kit will come with easy to follow installation instructions for you or a shop to install the kit as well as customer support if needed on installing the kit.Below is the web site link for this kit,just copy and paste the web site link info to another web page or web tab.

http://newrockies.ca?ap_id=bypasskit

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the bypass kit cheaper than the diagnostics and repair of all the components you mention in your last reply, and will it really work
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The by pass does work and eliminates the security components to correct this problem here as well as any future problems and in most cases is cheaper to go this route then it would be to have the security/theft system tested to locate the fault and then repaired.

So in most cases its cheaper depending on what is at fault.

If it is a cylinder at fault this can cost around $100 or more to diagnose and then around $200 for the new cylinder and about an hours labor to have replaced.

Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience: 15 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im looking at this web site for the bypass kit but my does not have a chip so will this still work for my car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Yes,When I pulled up the web site it did show there is a kit for the Oldsmobile cutlass from 1997 to 1999 so there is a kit available for your vehicle.Your key doesn't have to have the chip in it.You can also click on the chat box that pops up on the web site to speak with someone to make sure as well.

I hope this helped,thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANKS VERY MUCH YOU BEEN HELPFUL THE MOST POSTIVE DIAGNOSIS I'VE HEARD SO FAR

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.

Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me where the TDM is located on my 1998 olds cutlass I purchased the Newrockies Pro Bypass youn recomended, but cant find the TDM
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The body function controller should be located under the dash on the passenger side of the vehicle near the heater/ac blower motor.