Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.

Oldsmobile Alero I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and

I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and my alero still has trouble starting like the fpr is leaking, the smell of gas is still present, why is this?

FYI. I saw some fuel leaking at the base of the fpr, idk if it's not on tight enough or if it just can't handle the pressure. Idk what to do, since there are no otter present leaks
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Is fuel still or now leaking around the fuel pressure regulator and is it leaking where it attach's to the fuel rail on the engine?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes where it connects to the fuelrail is where it is leaking.
Its on as tight as I can get it but possible it's on wrong or there's not a tight seal for some reason.
Not a lot of gas, but it Leaks or the pressure is low enough to still give my car trouble turning on right away and it still seems like it's running rich.
Let me know what you think
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

It definitely sounds like it isn't sealed on properly,this will cause fuel pressure loss or fuel pressure bleed down and cause hard starting like this.

You will have to remove it and inspect the o ring on the fuel pressure regulator and see if it is cut or torn,if it is then you will either have to replace the regulator again or see if a local parts store or dealer has an o ring for this regulator,it has to be compatible with fuel.

Then apply a small amount of Vaseline to the o ring and then slowly seat the regulator back into place,sometimes a small twist while pushing it on helps.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!