Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  15 years Oldsmobile training and experience.

2003 Oldsmobile Alero: an alternator..liter..cylinder

What are the steps to change an alternator on a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero, 2.2 liter 4 cylinder?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Below are the steps/procedure on how to replace the alternator in your vehicle here with this engine:

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Remove the air cleaner resonator.
3. Remove the oil level indicator tube bolt and reposition the tube.
5. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the generator.
6. Remove the generator bolts.
7. Lower the vehicle.
8. Remove the generator.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the generator.
2. Raise the vehicle.
3. Install the generator bolts.Tighten the generator bolts to (16 lb ft).
4. Connect the generator electrical connectors.
Tighten
Tighten the generator electrical connector to (15 lb ft).
5. Install the drive belt.
6. Install the oil level indicator tube bolt.
7. Install the air cleaner resonator.
8. Lower the vehicle.
9. Connect the battery negative cable.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you supply any further detail on how to remove the air cleaner resonator? In addition there are references to lowering the vechicle, but I do not see where it says to raise it in the first place and why.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I apologize as this should have been step number 6 and then on from there.Raise the vehicle at step 6.

You have to raise it to gain access to the alternator bolts either through the wheel well opening or from under neath.

Here is the procedure for the air cleaner resonator:

1. Loosen the vent hose clamp at the air cleaner resonator.
2. Loosen the air cleaner intake duct clamp at the air cleaner outlet resonator.
3. Loosen the air cleaner outlet resonator to throttle body clamp, located forward of the accelerator cable bracket.
4. Remove the air cleaner resonator to accelerator bracket bolt.
5. Remove the resonator from the throttle body, the air cleaner intake duct and the vent hose.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I assume that I need to take the tension off the serpitine belt are there any precautions/hints?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The belt does have to be removed in order to replace the alternator.The tensioner has to be pivoted in order to remove the belt from the alternator.

This takes a 3/8 ratchet head inserted into the tensioner square slot and rotating the tensioner upwards.

Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience: 15 years Oldsmobile training and experience.