BigBob
BigBob, Service manager/Technician
Experience:  25 years in the auto repair business
13327319

2000 oldsmobile intrigue: the code says crank positioning sensor b

I just changed the crank positioning sensor on my 2000 oldsmobile intrigue and now the code says crank positioning sensor b. Where is that located on the car and how do I change it
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  BigBob replied 3 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to just answer!!!!

What is the code #? Did you perform the crank variation relearn after replacing?

Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We reset the code. My girfriend took it to checkers and did the diagnostics. She don't remember the code number she just said crank positioning b sensor. After I replaced sensor a she took it back to checkers and reset the code. After 150 miles the service engine soon light came back on and its doing the same thing as before?
Expert:  BigBob replied 3 years ago.
You will have to do a crank variation relearn anytime the crank sensor is taken out. You will have to have a scanner to do this.

CKP System Variation Learn Procedure

The Crankshaft position system variation compensating values are stored in the PCM non-volatile memory after a learn procedure has been performed. If the actual crankshaft position system variation is not within the crankshaft position system variation compensating values stored in the powertrain control module (PCM), DTC P0300 may set. Refer to Diagnostic Aids in DTC P0300 Engine Misfire Detected.

The Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure should be performed if any of the following conditions are true:

• DTC P1336 is not set.
  • The PCM has been replaced.
  • The PCM has been reprogrammed.
  • The engine has been replaced.
  • The crankshaft has been replaced.
  • The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor has been replaced.

CAUTION: Set the vehicle parking brake and block the drive wheels when performing the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure In order to prevent personal Injury. Release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. Once the learn procedure is completed, the PCM will return the engine control to the operator and the engine will respond to the throttle position.

IMPORTANT: The scan tool Crankshaft position system variation learn function will be inhibited if the engine coolant temperature is less than 70°C (158°F). Allow the engine to warm to at least 70°C (158F) before attempting the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn procedure.

The Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn function will be inhibited if any powertrain DTCs other than DTC P1336 are set before or during the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn procedure. Diagnose and repair any DTCs, if set.

1. Set the parking brake.
  2. Block the drive wheels.
  3. Close the hood.
  4. Start the engine and allow engine coolant temperature to reach at least 70°C (158°F).
  5. Turn off the engine, then turn the key to On.
  6. Select and enable the Crankshaft Position Variation Learn Procedure with the scan tool.
  7. Start the engine.
  8. Wait until instructed by the scan tool, then apply the brake pedal firmly.
  9. Ensure that the transaxle is in Park.
  10. Increase accelerator pedal position until the CKP System Variation Learn fuel cutoff is reached at 4050 RPM . Release the accelerator pedal after the second fuel cutoff is reached.
  11. The crankshaft position system variation compensating values are learned when the RPM decreases back to idle. If the procedure terminates, refer to the Important above for instructions.
  12. Observe the DTC status for DTC P1336.
  13. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 ran and passed, the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn procedure is complete.
  14. Use the scan tool to clear any DTCs. DTC P1336 will not automatically clear after a successful learn procedure. DTC P1336 will not clear from memory if the learn procedure was unsuccessful.
If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 failed or did not run, recheck for other DTCs that may have set during the procedure. If no DTCs other than P1336 are set, repeat the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn procedure. If the learn procedure will not pass, a mechanical engine problem may exist.

Bob
BigBob, Service manager/Technician
Experience: 25 years in the auto repair business