Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.

2003 olds alero: the flasher..come apart

how do i change the flasher on a 2003 olds alero? Does the whole dash need to come apart?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

The flasher on this vehicle is part of the hazard button assembly and removing the cluster is the first step.

Next step is to remove the small trim/bezel around the switch from the front near the button,this just pries off.

Then your switch is snapped into a bracket at the back of the switch and can be accessed through the instrument cluster hole once the cluster is removed.

The switch is attached to this bracket at the top and the bottom.

Using a pick or similar slide it in in between the top side of the switch while pressing in on the switch from the front until the top releases,you will feel it push back,keep holding it this way and install the pick on the bottom side of the switch and release the tab here while pushing from the front.You will have to do this by feel as it cant be seen where it is snapped into the bracket.

It should push through for removal and replacement.This can take a few attempts to release the tabs.

If you look at your new switch you will see the tabs I am talking about on the back part of the switch or top and bottom part,these are the tabs that lock it into the bracket.

It shouldn't take more then a half hour total and it sounds like you have every thing removed to do this repair already.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!