MPMoore, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM world class tech/ ASE master tech with L1.

I have a 2000 Bravada, my fuel gauge moves back and forth from full to empty. Its hard to

I have a 2000 Bravada, my fuel gauge moves back and forth from full to empty. Its hard to know how much gas is in it. Is it the fuel level sensor?

MPMoore :

Does the check engine light come on when this happens?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. engine light does not come on.
On som e cars the check engine light will come on if the fuel level sensor is bad. Most likely you do have a sensor issue, if the gauge was bad, then the level would not show full but stay on empty. Does the level show normal at times then drop to empty, such as 3/4 of a tank then drops to empty and back to reading correctly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, this is what happens when the fuel level sensor has a bad spot on the sensor board. You will need to replace the fuel level sensor. The sensor is located on the fuel pump inside of the fuel tank. The sensor can be replaced separate from the pump. If your truck has more then 100k miles and the pump has never been replaced before, then you may want to replace it since you have it out. Its best to run the tank down to less then 1/4, this makes it easier to remove the tank and the pump.