Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

1999 Oldsmobile Aurora: stalls at red lights and sometimes is slow

My 1999 Oldsmobile Aurora stalls at red lights and sometimes is slow to turn over.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

When the fuel pressure test was done was this right after it stalled or during driving when it stalled?

When you say its slow to turn over is the engine turning over slow acting like a weak or dead battery or is it turning over o.k. but not starting?

Does the vehicle have to sit for a period of time after it stalls before it will re start again?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Pete!

The fuel pressure test was done at home when the car was running normally. Results were within spec(48 to 55 PSI and although it did drop with the car turned off it still stayed within the range for ten minutes). Regarding the cranking it turns over fine (the battery is only two months old). Occasionally on start up it will misfire and backfire thru the throttle body but it has never refused to start. When it stalls at a stoplight, it just quits. No rough idle, no stumble, it is just like you turned the ignition off. Some people will point to the crank and camshaft position sensors but I am inclined to think that these would not be intermittent and I would think that the scan tool would detect this error. Thanks, Rick

Hi Rick,

O.k.

The fuel pressure should be tested when tis acts up to get an accurate result to see if this is the cause as I have seen some fuel pumps become intermittent like this before.In your vehicles case here this sounds like this may not be the problem since the vehicle just shuts off and there is no stumbling or rough running.

Crank sensors are very common to fail on this engine and are very intermittent like this and usually wont set any fault code when they fail.This is very common on this vehicle as I have had to replace allot of these for stalling or shutting off conditions like this.

Your vehicle should have two right above the oil filter housing.I always recommend replacing both at the same time and I believe the new sensors are an updated design.These usually cost around $60 each and can take about an hours labor to replace them.

From the description of the problem here this sounds like what may be at fault here on your vehicle.No codes will usually set and they can be very intermittent like this.Usually they fail once the engine heats up,then it will shut the engine down.In some cases the vehicle may start right back up and in others it may have to sit for a period of time before it will restart until the sensors cool.This problem will usually repeat the failure once heated up again,it may run a shorter time or a longer time before it repeats the fault.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Pete,

I didn't get your last reply,can you re post it?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Pete,

I did reply but I am guessing the message did notr get sent when I hit the accept button.

My question was is it easier to remove the sensors if you remove the oil filter housing,or just work around all the stuff in the tight space? I have ordered the sensors from Rock auto $32.00 ea. Do you know the reason for two?

O.k.

I have found it easier to remove the paneling under the front bumper.This is usually held in place with clips,once this is out of the way then you can see these two sensors,it is a tight fit but you can squeeze your hand and tools through the opening with the panel removed to gain access to the sensors to replace them.

Some people like to remove the oil filter and try that route.

Both sensors create a pulse for the computer systems for ignition reference.From what I understood about having two of these was to have a better signal from the crankshaft on its position,I guess two is better then one.

Thanks Pete!