jettadan1
jettadan1, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Olds tech
17254274

i have a 99 olds Intrigue w / 3.5 ltr. trouble code says cyl 1 mis fire, installed new coi

i have a 99 olds Intrigue w / 3.5 ltr. trouble code says cyl 1 mis fire, installed new coil pack,plugs,wires and cleared codes, still have same issue. i checked compression in all cyl's 128PSI average, no vac leaks, what would cause this?
Submitted: 3 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.

jettadan1 :

My Answer is based on clues, symptoms and info in your question. When diagnosing you vehicle you are my eye's ear's and hands. I am Daniel.

jettadan1 :

Mis fires like p0301 can be causes by fuel injectot also.

jettadan1 :

injector

jettadan1 :

some times it is traced to a cam sensor

jettadan1 :

Were there any other codes with the po301

Customer :

After i installed all the new items, while running i unhooked the injector the car went nuts. then i pluged it back in and you can tell their is a difference.

jettadan1 :

ok its more of a random misfire

Customer :

No other codes.

jettadan1 :

do you use a K and N air filter or have you not change the air filter in a long time?

Customer :

I have thought of the cam sensor but its not showing anyother code. the car was running great. i even checked fuel pressure. 36lbs KOEO and 40PSI KOER

Customer :

I removed the top of the breather box thinking it was the filter, but the filter looked new..

Customer :

Could it be a Crank Pos sensor?

Customer :

no K and N filter run GM only

jettadan1 :

what was the code exactly usually it is p0301 what did yours say

Customer :

yes Po0301 Cyl 1 Miss fire

jettadan1 :

ok at this point it could be 20 things but you will need a qualified scanner to run flow of diagnostics. If I had to give an educated guess it would be the cam sensor. but the diagnotics by a qualified scanner could save you so much money that throwing parts at it.t

jettadan1 :

it could be the maf sesnor also. and that is cheap to clean with some maff sensor cleaner. I would try that

jettadan1 :

and also the 02 sensors

Customer :

I have the Snap on 2500 with software.. but when connected it showed the cam sensor was working, along with the O2 Sensors.

jettadan1 :

if you are getting bad fuel economy compared to be fore this is a good chance of working

jettadan1 :

can you compare the operation of the cam sensor to a know good wave pattern and crankshaft sensor

jettadan1 :

also do the mass air flow sensor.

jettadan1 :

it should be programmed

jettadan1 :

I use the snap on 2500 and the modis

jettadan1 :

do wiggle test on connections also. se if it cuts out

Customer :

I started the wiggle test late last night but nothing.

Customer :

I'm not sure if the 2500 will show me wave patterns but i will try.

jettadan1 :

ok lets see how the cleaning works and ahow far you can follow the flow of diagnostics on the scanner

Customer :

ok great thanks

jettadan1 :

your very welcome

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you have any other questions even after accept.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Daniel,

Sorry i didnt get any time to work on it until last nite. I hooked into the ECM and was watching the Cam pos and O2 sensors, noticed the voltage was all over the place on the cam pos, i replaced the cam Pos cleared code and ran it, within 1min code pop back up. One thing i did notice was the on the O2 sensor voltage was everywhere O2 B1-S1 V = .035 to .400 and O2 B1-S2 V = .790 to .800 Bank 1 S2 was stable.

What do you think?

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.

did you clean or replace 02 sensor.

In the rear bank exhaust manifold, behind the center of the engine is one, and the other In the exhaust system, behind the catalytic converter. You can try cleaning them first.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didnt do anything with them yet. I did clean the mass air flow sensor.

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Thats good did you watch the hertz signal from the mass air flow did you watch it and wiggle test connection? If it goes up and down and all over the place then thats an issue. If it just bumbs very little its ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we did look at the signal from the mass and did the wiggle test all looked good.

I can say i have never had this much trouble...

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.

Lets get o2 sensors cleaned and see what happens.

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.

You have not replaced the ignition control module which is the main control of the firing..

The ignition system on this engine uses an individual ignition coil for each cylinder. An ignition coil assembly consisting of three coils and an ignition control module, is located in the center of each cam cover. This arrangement allows the ignition coil to connect directly to the spark plug using only a boot. This eliminates the need for secondary ignition wires. There are separate ignition modules for Bank 1 and for Bank 2. Each module controls the three ignition coils for that bank of cylinders. The PCM controls ignition module operation. There are six Ignition Control (IC) circuits, one per cylinder, that connect the PCM and the ignition modules. The ignition modules also have a power feed, a chassis ground circuit and a Reference Low circuit each. The PCM causes spark to occur by pulsing the IC circuit, which signals the ignition module to trigger the ignition coil and fire the spark plug. Sequencing and timing are PCM controlled.

The ignition feed circuits are fused separately for each bank of the engine. The two fuses also supply the injectors for that bank of the engine.

This system puts out very high ignition energy for plug firing. Because there are no ignition wires, there is no energy loss due to ignition wire resistance. Also, since the firing is sequential, each coil has five events to saturate as opposed to the two in a waste spark arrangement. Furthermore, no energy is lost to the resistance of a waste spark system.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ignition control module you are talking about, is this on the coil module its self, one per bank of coils? When i purchased the coil module it came with a new on on it. what do you think about the crank Pos sensor? could this be bad causing the cyl 1 missfire?

Expert:  jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.
Usually the crank and cam will throw more than just one code and will throw a 300 which is multible misfires. This is isolated to the number one cylinder. I would test the control module for bank one which is 135 cylinders bank two is 246 cylinders.

Edited by jettadan1 on 1/14/2011 at 6:29 PM EST
jettadan1, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Olds tech