KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

Oldsmobile alero: a arrow pointing down on a fluid warning light mean

what does the "box with a arrow pointing down on a fluid" warning light mean on the oldsmoblie alero 2000
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 3 years ago.

KALAMYKID :

What size engine do you have please?

Customer :

I believe its a 2.4

Customer :

I just want to know what that means and what I can do or what I need to do

KALAMYKID :

Can you give me the 8th vin digit so i can look it up for you?

Customer :

let me go look it up

KALAMYKID :

ty

KALAMYKID :

You do not have to close this page. This is a live chat session.

KALAMYKID :

That would be the low coolant light.

Customer :

its 24576730 that was on the engin

Customer :

ohhh

Customer :

so I need to get more collant for the car then

KALAMYKID :

If the coolant is low you need to find the leak.

KALAMYKID :

Then fill the system back up

Customer :

I don't think there is a leak. I think its just low

KALAMYKID :

If the system is low there HAS to be a leak.

KALAMYKID :

DO you have an auto zone or an advance auto parts near you?

Customer :

is the leak a easy fix?

Customer :

yes I do

KALAMYKID :

You can go to one of them and rent a cooling system pressure tester to help you find the leak.

KALAMYKID :

Whe you have found the leak and take the pressure tester back yu will get all yourmoney back

Customer :

oh really

Customer :

So what if the light comes on then turns off. That seems to happen sometimes too

KALAMYKID :

The tester is easy to use, Just put the tester where the radiator cap goes and pump the tester till you have 15 psi on the system. Then you can see where the coolant is coming from.

KALAMYKID :

the sensor is in the side of the radiator :" if memory serves me correctly". When the coolant level dops the sensor drys and gets a reading to tell the light to come on. When the cooant flows through the system it can get the sesor wet again and cause the light to go out.

Customer :

ok Thanks. so I shouldn't worry about it to much then

Customer :

meaning that its a red light that just started to come on

KALAMYKID :

No you should worry about it. If the coolant level is low the engine can over heat causing big engine trouble.

Customer :

I mean its easy to fix and not cost me alot of money. But yes that would be bad

KALAMYKID :

If the coolant level is low the engine coolant temp sensor can give false redings. the enginecan over heat and the temp gauge would still read normal

Customer :

oh.

KALAMYKID :

As for the cost to repair the leak, that can be small or big depending on where the leak is. If it is just a hose thenit will be cheap the fix. If the radiator is leaking that can cost around $200.00

Customer :

well hopefully its a hose leak then. thanks alot you were really helpfull

KALAMYKID :

Yuo are very welcome

KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q