Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Oldsmobile Alero The Service Vehicle Soon Light comes on and

The Service Vehicle Soon Light comes on and stays on now, most of the time. The manual is very vague as to why? Can you enlighten me? DO I need to take it to get it repaired ASAP, or is it a glitch?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

The check engine or service engine soon light comes on for emission purposes only. Your computer has detected a emissions malfunction.

IF the vehicle is running ok, you do not need to take it in ASAP. However, you should get it looked at in the next few weeks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What needs to be done to get it repaired and do you have an idea as to what that will cost. I am getting my thermostat housing replaced because it has been leaking. Does that go along with an emission problem. Could that be the reason the light has been coming on?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Your on board computer will need to b scanned for codes. THis will give the technician a place to start looking. Chances are that the t stat housing is not causing your check engine light to come on. THis will not cause an emission failure unless it is leaking coolant out to the point that your engine is overheating.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not the service engine light that comes on. i should be more specific. It is another light that states "service vehicle soon" according to the manual it has something to do with the daylight headlights and the automatic lights malfunction. All of my lights are working, and I can replace them myself. Why would I need to go to the dealer for this?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
NO... you do not need to go to the dealership for this. You can bring your vehicle to any small repair shop to get this fixed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Did you have any further questions?