Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  15 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

Oldsmobile Bravada 2000 olds bravada wont start after setting

Customer Question

2000 olds bravada won't start after setting for 2 months charged battery.Cranks fine,fuel pump working fine,changed fuel filter.I can pour fuel down intake and it will run. could it be a security fuel lock and if so how do I fix it?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Has the fuel pressure been tested?

Do you have another key to try at all?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I pulled the fuel filter off I turned the key on and have a very strong fuel steam,don't have a gauge to check pressure. I do have another key but have not tryed that.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.,

Try this,here is the pass lock learn procedure for your key,try this procedure and if the vehicle starts and runs after wards then it was a theft condition from sitting for so long.Let me know if this worked.

30 MINUTE RE-LEARN PROCEDURE
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSLOCK Sensor Data
Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the PASSLOCK Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to
CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PASSLOCK Sensor Data Code and/or password).

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience: 15 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tryed the relean procedure,but the security light never stayed on after trying to start, always went off with in a few seconds.It is like the fuel has been shut of to the engine but like I said I can pour fuel in and it will run untill the fuel is gone. Is there a fuse which can possibly stop fuel from going to injectors?Like I said it seems to be pumping plenty of fuel just not to the intake.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Check all of your fuses in your under hood fuse box and in the instrument panel fuse box and make sure they are all o.k.

Yes a faulty fuse can cut signals to the injectors but is usually uncommon.I have seen fuel injectors stick closed on vehicles after sitting for an extended period,this is a possibility and would need to be tested wiht a scan tool and a fuel gage.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It proably would not run at all if injectors were stuck closed would it?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
It would if you were puring fuel in it because you are manually feeding it the fuel needed to run.

Double check all of your fuses to see if any are blown and replace any that are.Your fuel pressure has to be around 52 to 60 p.s.i. in order for the injectors to atomize properly and the vehicle to run so if it is lower then the vehicle will not start as I have seen quite a few times on this model before.

You may want to have the pressure tested just to verify that it is o.k.It does sound like you have spark since the vehicle will start with fuel poured into the engine.

I hope this helped,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where is the best location to test fuel pressure? At the filter or up by the intake,there is what looks like a bleeder or AC valve on the fuel line on the lines coming up the back of thr engine.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Yes the test port on the rear of the engine at the fuel lines where this bleeder is at is where you would want to screw on a fuel pressure gage to test the pressure.This is the best location for this.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for all your help!!!

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
your welcome,hope you get it resolved,Thanks Pete!