Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  15 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

2001 olds aurora: drivers door..the door locks work..circut..relay

i am having trouble with a 2001 olds aurora. i can only get the drivers door to work. none of the other windows will go down or will the door locks work, just the driver door. is there a circut or relay that the other doors work off of?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

One common problem that can cause this failure is the wiring that passes through the door into the body of the vehicle in the door jamb area.

The wiring can become brittle and break in some cases.You will have to pry back the rubber wiring loom that the wiring passes into in the door jamb where the door hinges are and inspect the wiring in both the drivers front and passenger front doors,if any of the wiring is broken it can create this problem and should be repaired.

Most likely this is where the problem is on your vehicle as I have run across allot of times before.

Also most of these door control modules have to be programmed by a dealer in order to operate in the vehicle,so if you replaced these door control modules without having them programmed this may be the fault as well and they may just need programing done on them from a GM dealer to operate in your vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i checked the driver side already but i just went and looked at the pass and they all look good. no marks cuts or broken wires
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Did you have the modules programmed after you replaced them?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they were actualy from a junk yard but they put a power pack on the car to show me that the windows worked
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
In the rear fuse boxes under the rear seats should be some fuses for the door control modules,check and make sure all of these fuses are o.k.,there should be one for each drivers and passenger front side doors.

Let me know if this helped,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i checked all the fuses and they all were ok
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
With all of the fuses being o.k. and you have new or good modules in the doors the only thing that I see that could be at fault is a wiring condition either from the fuses to the modules or the modules to the locks and windows.

The door modules communicate with each other on a data line to control needed door functions and to control other doors when needed for window operation and door lock operation.

It sounds like. A definite wiring condition with one of these modules but it may take time to trace and locate the wiring failure.

It may be after where the wiring passes into the body on the interior of the vehicle.Some of these have wiring connectors in the body right where the wiring passes into the body on the drivers side this would ne near the E brake assembly.You may want to trace the wiring to see if the fault can be found and repaired.

I hope this helped.If you need anything else let me know.Thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry i havent got back to you, i tore the car all apart chasing wires and checking resistance and cant find anything that would keep the other doors from working
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Does anything on any of the other doors besides the drivers door operate with any of the switches either from that specific door or from the drivers door switches?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no the other doors are dead all together
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

This definitely sounds like a data loss problem.All of the door control modules communicate with each other and the other computers in this vehicle.If data is lost then you will have this problem.

This may be another different faulty computer in this vehicle causing this or that one of the new/used modules are faulty and is shoring out the data line and is causing this failure.

Unfortunately this will have to be checked and tested with a scan tool and the proper wiring test tools.Since all of the fuses are good,the modules have been replaced and you find no broken wiring this sounds like a data loss/failure.

This could be an internal fault with the body control module but it is to hard to say from this end what exactly is failing.You will have to have this tested by a dealer to locate the exact fault since it sounds communication related on the vehicle.

Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience: 15 years Oldsmobile training and experience.