ZZdaryl
ZZdaryl, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  27 years experience as auto tech
8994801

On my 2000 Oldsmobile Alero engine light is on. Car shakes.

Customer Question

2000 Olds Alero, check engine light is on. Idles rough, engine shakes when trying to accelerate too fast or when going up hills. Tested code P0300. Changed plugs and wires. Had a mechanic look at it who said I had a cylinder going bad. Don't like the sound of that and does not match with the code problems. Any simpler idea?

Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  ZZdaryl replied 5 years ago.

The code P0300 is for a cylinder misfire. The code does match the bad cylinder diagnosis. If the compression was tested and low it is most likely the problem. If it was not tested, what was and how did they come down to the diagnosis they did?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They said the cylinder tested low but would that cause this problem?

Expert:  ZZdaryl replied 5 years ago.

Low compression is usually caused by bad piston rings or bad valves. Which can be caused by over heating, high mileage, poor maintenance, etc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess I just don't want to pay 1300.00 dollars if there is a chance there is an easier fix. Have had bad experience before. Do you think the cylinder is the problem or do you think there could be an easier fix?

Expert:  ZZdaryl replied 5 years ago.

If the compression is low it is the problem and there is no easy fix for this. On this site you can ask as many follow up questions as you want.

ZZdaryl, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 27 years experience as auto tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So why am I getting the P0300 code if it has nothing to do with the cylinder?

Expert:  ZZdaryl replied 5 years ago.

The piston and valves are in the cylinder and if the cylinder is low on compression it is what causes the cylinder to misfire so it sets the misfire code.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I know prices are different everywhere, but does 1300.00 sound like an average price for fixing that problem?

Expert:  ZZdaryl replied 5 years ago.

Its hard to say without knowing what they were going to do to fix the problem; such as engine replacement, rebuild, or repair and to what extent they were doing a repair if that was what they are doing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think they were going to replace the cylinder. They said something about having to send it out to be bored. After they said 1300 I kind of went into shock and stopped listening.

Expert:  ZZdaryl replied 5 years ago.

That would be an engine rebuild so that price is not outrageous, the whole engine would be taken apart and repaired.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  ZZdaryl replied 5 years ago.

Thank you and good luck with the repairs.