Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

My 4100e can receive but not send

Customer Question

My 4100e can receive but not send
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your Brother Intellifax cannot send. But can receive incoming faxes.

Please tell me two vital details, so that I can advise you better:

1. what phone line service do you have, analog/POTS/'landline', or digital/UVerse/Comcast/MagicJack/Vonage/VoIP etc. ?

2. what symptom or error message do you get when you try to send a fax ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have Comcast I don't get any error message When I dial a fax it doesnt go through I have a handset which I can pick up and dial out on the machine I use it when all my other lines are tied up. Now when I lift it I get a dial tone but it goes away after the first number I dial I continue to dial and nothing happens. It's ded air then the dial tone comes back for one second, goes away and i get a busy signal

Thank you for your response.

So - if I understand you correctly - even when making a voice call via the Intellifax's handset - your call does not go through.

If you have not made this test yet, please do so. It's significant, if you cannot make a voice call go through, as to why a fax sending won't go through.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thats correct I can't make a voice call but I can receive one as well as a fax

How long ago did the Comcast phone service get put in?

I fear it may be the problem, you see. Digital phone services such as Comcast's can produce problems with fax sending or receiving... in this case, obviously a problem with both sending AND calling out. Which is actually not a quality of digital phone system faxing problems. You should be able to make a voice call, outbound, even using the Intellifax's handset.

Something is wrong with your Comcast box, perhaps... or your Comcast service. Do other phones that work through it work? or is this Intellifax device the only one using the phone line through Comcast?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The Intellifax is the only one using this number All other 5 lines work but are different numbers The Comcast was put in two weeks ago and because faxes are becoming a thing of the past, I didnt realize it wasn't working. It will however receive a fax on the machine. I have to grab a regular phone and try plugging that in directly to see if I can make a call out with that phone I will do that tomorrow and get back I have a feeling you are correct about the issue being with comcast.. Talk soon John

OK. Please do that test tomorrow or whenever convenient. Thanks, John.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good Morning Russell I found a phone from my house and connected it directly into the phone jack that the fax machine goes into. It works fine. I am able to dial out and make calls from it on that line. When I unplug it and plug the Brother Intelli Fax back in it won't fax. Again what happens is is I hit "hook" i hear the dialtone. I dial the first number and the dial tone goes away, which i think is normal, then after I complete the number...nothing. After 12 seconds the dialtone will make an attempt to come back and then complete silence. Puzzles me because yesterday we received about 4 faxes, just cant fax out0.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

I think the problem is that the Comcast phone service is a 'digital' phone service. That makes for problems with faxing... sometimes just sending, but not receiving. (I honestly have no figured out why it only works in one direction.)

Now, there are some things we can try to get your Intellifax sending as well as receiving. A change in settings (if your model has these settings to change) is the first and best thing to try. Would you like to get instructions as to how to change settings?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to try to work some new settings on my 4100e as you suggested. Thank you John

I have done a search through the manual for the Brother 4100e... and unfortunately it does not mention how to do either of the two things that can help a fax work better with a digital phone line:

- disable ECM

and/or

- set TX/RX Speed to Slow (or a lower value, in some models.)

ECM is mentioned as a feature of this model, but I have found no word on whether it can be disabled. Perhaps it cannot, I'm sorry to say.

Do you have any extra features on the line, such as call waiting, conferencing, etc. ?