Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.

My shredder has what looks like small bar that appears in

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: my shredder has what looks like small bar that appears in the middle of the shredding area that prevents paper from being inserted. The screen says "maintenance to put oil sheet in, but thr bar keeps it from being inserted. The only area where materials can be inserted is on iether side of the bar. Is this what happens when the maintenance indicator comes on? And how can i get past this point?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: SPL-XC180P
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Atl least 7 yrs
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just when the maintenancecame on about 30minutes ago
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 17 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect that your shredder is, quite simply, 'broken'. No such bar should be in the path of the shredded material. It might be one of several things... but basically your shredder needs at very least some disassembly and fixing.

My guess - though it's only a guess without seeing it - would be that the paper sensor switch has gotten stuck in the paper path, after a jam-up was pulled out upward. This could well be the problem.

(If you took a photo and posted it, perhaps I could tell for certain.)