GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

Xerox 8550 (out of service contract) ram error - new memory

Customer Question

xerox 8550 (out of service contract) ram error - new memory installed - tried both memory slots - still "ram error"
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Xerox is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 9+ years
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc windows 7 pro
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: after a print job - had error code 07,007,40: 60817 - turned off and 2 minutes back on and then Ram Error
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. Were you having this error and bought new memory becuse of it? or did you install new memory and then get the error message? Can you provide specs on both the old memory and the new memory so I can check to see if there might be a compatibility problem?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
bought new memory because of 1st RAM error message - OLD 256MB DDR 333 CL2.5 - PC2700S-2533-1-2
NEW 256MB DDR 333MHz CL2.5 - PC2700-25330
From memoryx.net item 097S03381_ABUAGU Description 256MB xerox PC2700 DDR333 200-PIN SODIMM (p/n 097S03381
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that information. On the surface it certainly seems that the new chips should work as replacements. There is a possibility that one of the memory slots in the machine could be bad.

Before we assume that, however, let's try resetting the printer to see if that will clear the error message.

Reset the NVRAM

CAUTION: Resetting NVRAM returns stored parameters in the image processor board NVRAM to their factory default values. The print count and the Adobe firmware serial number are not affected by this reset.

The PostScript NVRAM can be reset using either the Service Tools menu or the Service Diagnostics menu.

NOTE: Print a Configuration Page before resetting NVRAM by following the instructions below:

• Press the [System] button on the Control Panel. The System Setup menu will be displayed.
  • Press the [Down] arrow button on the Control Panel to select [Configuration Page].
  • Press the [OK] button on the Control Panel to print.

Resetting the NVRAM using the Service Diagnostics menu:

1. Press and hold down the [Up] arrow button on the Control Panel, and then press the [OK] button.
  2. Select [Reset NVRAM], and then press the [OK] button.

Resetting the NVRAM using the Service Tools menu:

1. Press the [System] button on the Control Panel. The System Setup screen will be displayed and 'Information' will be the selected option.
  2. Press the [OK] button on the Control Panel. The Information screen will be displayed.
  3. Press the [Down] arrow button until [Troubleshooting] is selected, and then press the [OK] button.
  4. Press the [Down] arrow button until [Service Tools] is selected, and then press the [OK] button.
  5. Select [Reset NVRAM], and then press the [OK] button.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Please give one or both of those methods of resetting the nvram a try. and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what are the 2 methods to reset nvram ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just noticed the reset instruction) however, nothing we do gets by the "RAM Error" message when turning on printer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

I' really sorry but if resetting the nvram did not get rid of the Ram error message, I am all out of ideas. I will "opt out" and open this to other experts. Perhaps they will have other ideas that will help. You will be notified when another expert begins to work on the question. You won't have to repeat anything as they will see our entire conversation. Have a great day!