GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

I have a Ricoh c420dn printer. There are streaks on several

Customer Question

I have a Ricoh c420dn printer. There are white streaks on several of the colors when printing. Have replaced the cdu's and we are still having the same white streaks in the same place on a diagnostic chart.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Hi there Patty. My name is***** see that you have been waiting for an answer for quite some time. I'm sorry about that. It woudl be my pleasure to help you with this.

Troubleshoot the machine when printing is uneven or when prints are smudged, smeared, or blotchy.

Print the nozzle check test pattern to check whether the print head nozzles are all ejecting ink properly, and, if necessary, carry out head cleaning or head-flushing.

1. Execute Nozzle Check to determine the number of the clogged print head. (Please see link below for instructions)

2. Perform Head Cleaning for the clogged print head. (See link below)

3. Execute Nozzle Check to determine whether the problem has been eliminated.

4. If the problem persists, do not use the machine for 5 to 10 minutes.

By doing this, minute bubbles in the print head nozzle may disappear as the air in them dissolves into the ink, resulting in unclogging.

5. Execute Nozzle Check to determine whether the problem has been eliminated.

If the problem persists, repeat Steps 1 to 5 a few more times.

Also letting the machine stand idle after repeating the procedure may help eliminate the clogging.

If the problem persists, perform Steps 1 to 5 again, but instead of performing "Head-cleaning" in Step 2, perform "Head-flushing". (Please see link below for instructions.)

Head Flushing, which cleans the print head more thoroughly than Head Cleaning, consumes a lot of ink.

If the problem returns soon after it has been eliminated, set [Recycl.Ppr.Mode] in the [System]menu to [On].

How to do a nozzle check

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001046/0001046097/view/op_guide/int/m0001.htm

How to do a head cleaning

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001046/0001046097/view/op_guide/int/0099.htm

How to do a head flushing

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001046/0001046097/view/op_guide/int/0101.htm

Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
these procedures are for an ink jet printer, ours is a laser printer using toner
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

I'm terribly sorry. Those were the procedures listed for the c420dn. There must be an incorrect link on the Ricoh site. If the white streaks are in the same place every time, it is possible that the dustproof glass is dirty. Please give me a moment to locate the user manual fo ryour printer and to provide specific instructions for cleaning.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

I'm very sorry, but since this machine has been discontinued, it's a bit difficult to find the information that I need. I will opt out in the hopes that another expert will be able to assist you. You will be notified when another expert is working on the question. Thank you for your patience. Have a great evening!