Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I have an older model Xerox XC830 black/ copier. It has

Customer Question

I have an older model Xerox XC830 black/white copier. It has started giving me very thin horizontal lines, 3 per page, spaced at about 3-3/4 inches (about equal to the drum circumference. These lines persist with cartridge changes. Any ideas?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Replacing the drum is the obvious advice to give. I presume you have tried that?

Unless, of course, there is some other component in the printer which rotates, and is that circumference also.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced the print cartridge twice

Can you scan a copy of the lines on a page (preferably a photocopy of a blank original, so as to show them most clearly), and add the scanned image file to your reply, please? that would help considerably.

(Without such an aid, I have no advice at this point except to check the fuser rollers... I doubt any of them are that circumference, but if one is damaged with a horizontal line then it should show up.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hold on. Let me figure out how best to do that.

OK. Take your time, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I scanned to my google drive as a off but for some reason it won't read here. Do you have an email address?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's pdf
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not off
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here's a jpeg
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any ideas?

I was on another case for a bit, I will now take a look. Thanks for posting it!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

I note that those lines are far far too regular-looking to be anything like the usual 'drum damage' lines.

But they are associated with the drum owing to their spacing apart.

So I think you need to look for a chipped gear tooth, or something stuck in the gears that turn the drum or drive the drum... if the drum were joggled just a trifle once per revolution, it might produce that sort of line.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Another possible cause would be, if the power supply produces a spike every revolution. Then this sort of line would appear, without any visible mechanical or material cause. Replacing the power supply in the printer will cure this, though, and be the evidence that this is the case.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, let me take a look at the drive gear(s).
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have to go out for a while now but the half perhaps I'll get back with you later thanks bye .

Later is fine. Get back to me at your convenience.