Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.
27991594

I have KM Bizhub c284e with 80k copies. It´s printing a

Customer Question

i have KM Bizhub c284e with 80k copies. It´s printing a vertical line of 1 cm width. The tranfer belt shows a toner line which is the one that prints on the sheets. I want to clean it but not sure how to remove the transfer belt
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: 1 day
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: move back and forth the plastic stick and also move back and forth another tool that come with the machine after removing the waste toner.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You may not need to clean it off the transfer belt - which kind of damages easily, and which you (besides that) are having difficulty removing.

If these are all photocopies, that have a line on them, and they are all made through the document feeder on top of the machie, then you may have a problem with the scanner glass used by the document feeder.

To test this, just place one blank sheet of paper on the scanner glass sheet, and photocopy that four or five times. See if the line fades away at all - or possibly, rapidly - while doing so.

If the line fades away by 4 or 5 copies made on the glass sheet, then you probably have dirt on the scanner parts. Let me know if that is the case, so that I may advise you further, as to how to deal with the problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont have problem with photocopies. My problem is while printing.When i send a file from my pc to the printer.
I did the troubleshooting indicated in the operation manual
http://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/bizhub-C554e-C454e-C364e-C284e-C224e/EN/contents/id16-_101379889.htmlbut the problem continue.
Please help

OK.

My first thought was that the toner cartridge might be defective. But your printer's toner cartridge is just a simple 'bottle'.

Is the line on the pages sharp-edged, or blurry? narrow, or broader?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
blurry and narrow

I see.

Sometimes such lines can be caused by toner (or other dust) on a corona wire. Have you cleaned the corona wires yet? sometimes in some models, this is done with a sliding tab, that is usually brightly colored. If done by hand, it should be done with a dry fresh cotton swab, and delicately since if the wire breaks, it will damage the printer worse and make it unusable until the wire is replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I havent done that and I dont know how to do that in a bizhub c284e. Where is the corona wire in this printer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess the cleaning of the electrostatic charge is the same as the corona wire. I did that pulling a handle 3 or 4 times back and forth.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also I cleaned the printhead glass with another handle which is described in the link of the manual I sent you before.

OK, I rather thought so.

One more thing that's mentionable: usually when the 'drum' is scored or damaged, the edges of the resulting line on pages is rather sharp-edged, but this might be an exception.

Check the 'drum', in the position corresponding to the line on the pages, briefly, without touching it, for any scoring or damage.

Then also (after the printer has been Off for at least 10 minutes, to allow cooling time, since the fuser is heated to a temperature high enough to cause burns when touched) check the fuser rollers. Damage to them might cause the line in question.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can see in the transfer belt a line of yellow toner dust which is the same shadow that prints on the paper sheet.

Right - so the line on all the printed sheets is always yellow?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i checked all 4 drums and hey are clean.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no the line is black when printed

OK. I'm not sure I can provide more assistance with this case. But also check the fuser rollers for scoring or damage or just plain lines on them.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what I wanted is a video on how to deassamble the transfer belt in order to clean it. That is the help I need. Cn you get this help from another expert in bizhub C284e?

I have no such information. I have Opted Out, with apologies, opening the case to other Experts in this category. Thank you for your patience and for following the case this far.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks for you help anyway. Have a good day.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 5 months ago.

I will be the person helping you today.

I can help you in one of two ways:
1) We will communicate back and forth on this page.
2) Remote support, which would allow me to take a look at the problem and fix it for you while you watch.

In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.

As a side note, both options are covered by a 100% guarantee and fully refundable, if we are not able to fix your problem.

If you wish to choose the first option, please let me know so we can begin. If you wish to choose the second, better option, then click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** continue with the chat option

Okay. You have tried the chat option once already. I offered the remote option as a favor, but I now understand you do not want that. I will go ahead and opt out and allow another person to chat with you.

Expert:  Carl L replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Carl and I will be assisting you where Jason left off. I don't believe I saw any mention of using the Laser Printer Cleaning Cycle on the Printer's Utilities Menu. This is specifically designed to clean the Transfer belt of any minor Toner collections. Anything major would require a soft cloth to remove the Toner from the Transfer belt. Perform a test a remove what you can from the transfer belt, even if it's a small amount then print a good 5-10 articles and see if that cleaned area remains the same or is collecting Toner again. This will indicate whether or not cleaning mechanism is functioning properly and/or the Transfer Belt is scored from Debris or the Drum and is no longer able to clean itself of charged Toner Particles.

If you need any clarification or additional help, please feel free to ask me.