Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.

I have a Xerox XC1040 Copier that is giving me a report H-4.

Customer Question

I have a Xerox XC1040 Copier that is giving me a report H-4. Will not copy or print.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Xerox is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Says Xerox XC 1040 it's a table top copier. Probably 15 years old?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Will no longer print. The printer is flashing H-4 on screen
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

An H4 fault means you should

1. make sure the outlet your copier is plugged into is grounded. Has a good ground, that is, not just has 3 prongs as seen by visual inspection. There are small devices you can use to test for an open ground in 3 prong outlet, that is sold by hardware stores.

2. reseat the fuser lamp.

3. perform the Fault Reset 14.

4. and if the above does not clear the error, replace the fuser lamp. Which is likely to be what will be needed, at a guess.

(For further details, just reply letting me know. Thanks.)