Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

Why does my fax machine ring, it says it is sending but I do

Customer Question

Why does my fax machine ring, it says it is sending but I do not receive anything?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:1) Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?4) Are you able to SEND faxes?5) Make/model of the system?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes it is a dedicated line, it is a landline from local phone company, not sure above dsl service, I am able to send faxes, no problem, the make and model is a Brothers mfc8910dw
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Does this issue happen every time the line rings?Can you have someone try to send you a test fax, and when you hear it ring, press the START (black) button on the brother, and tell me what happens?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok will do.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That did not work
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
What happened? Any error messages?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no it just kept ringing and then stopped and went into sleep mode
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Has anything been moved at all?Can you unplug power the brother for a few minutes,and in the meantime ensure that the telephone cord from the wall jack is plugged to the #1 (line/wall) port, and not to the 2 or 3 (tel/tad) ports.Then power back up and test once more, please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks anyway
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Can you please test the above?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?If so, simply reply back on this page.Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.Nathan