Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I need help. I have a brother fax/copy/print MFC-7340. It

Customer Question

I need help. I have a brother fax/copy/print MFC-7340. It looks like it is stuck on the sleep mode. When I fax the recipient does not receive what was sent. The report states that the line was busy. This is even after numerous attempts. Also, individuals try to Fax to me and I don't receive what was sent. Their feedback from the report states "technical error." I am not able to find my manual. Can you help?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

'Sleep mode' would not affect faxing that way. I presume that the whole machine is not asleep since you only mention faxing problems... so please let me know what a try at making a photocopy produces... just one page is enough, even in black-and-white mode, to tell me, thanks.

As for the problem with faxing... your line may be down (exactly how depends upon what sort of phone service you have, landline/POTS, or digital/UVerse/Vonage/MagicJack service... let me know, please) or you may have your phone line connected up wrong.

The phone line cable from your phone service, must go into the L or Line jack, not the P or Phone-handset-logo jack, for things to work properly.

And the other end must go to your phone service, with no breaks on the way. Examine it, re-seat both ends of the phone cable, and also disconnect any other devices on the line. Then try again.

Note also: if you have DSL or ADSL modem on the line, then you need a 'DSL filter' dongle on the line to the fax, in order to receive and send faxes properly. Check for that, if you have DSL internet service.