Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

Laser class 3170 fax/copier Error light flashing says to

Customer Question

Laser class 3170 fax/copier
Error light flashing says to check printer. Think I got all memory deleted.
When I tried to copy a page it won't
Category: Office Equipment
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
won't print a receipt that I sent the fax and recvd no print out that the fax didn't go.
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 9 months ago.

Hi Shirley,

Try sending a fax to a known recipient and check if they receive it.

If they don't then you may have reset all of the machine's settings when you deleted the memory.

Check in the settings that the option to print a confirmation report is selected...

Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did send a fax and I programed it to send a receipt and it appeared to have gone thru however it didn't give me a receipt as I requested. I also tried to just copy a paper and it won't. The error light is on and it is saying check printer.
How do I reset the machine settings. I can't find that in the manual.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was doing this before I deleted them memory boxes

Ok, then there may be a paper jam preventing it from printing...

Check for any small pieces of paper inside the machine, or manually push a piece of card through it to help clear any jams, then turn it off and on and try again...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did that already there isn't any paper in it and I have unplugged from the wall and unplugged from machine.

Ok, let me see if any of my colleagues can assist further with this...

Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Try - if you feel you are allowed to, considering your equipment is not HP equipment and therefore not under the aegis of HP - using the HP Test Fax facility. Simple send a one-page black-and-white plain fax to

1-888-hpfaxme (1-***-***-****).

Wait 5 minutes to 10 minutes. Their system, if it receives that fax, will generate a return fax. If you get the return fax, then both your Send and your Receive are working correctly (with any standard faxing equipment in good order at any rate.)

I presume that won't work as far as printing out the return fax goes. So we must address the fault in the printer part of the machine.

- Is there enough blank paper ?

- Is the toner supply sufficient? check on it.

If the answer to both is 'yes', then check all hatches, that they are closed or open properly for operation.

Try a photocopy once the 'check printer' light goes out... if it does. If the photocopy works, try the HP Fax Test facility once again (if it didn't work the first time. I suspect it won't, since you had stuff in memory... it must have been receiving into memory because it couldn't print what it received.

(Is your LaserClass hooked up to a computer? if so, seeing whether the toner is sufficient from there would be advisable.)

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Doors all closed
Toner good
Paper good
Tried to copy paper it won't
Faxed page to number you suggested and it appears to have gone thru. No fax has come back.
Uggggg
Memory in use it says 4%
Ck printer still on and error light still on.

The 4 % memory appears to me to be a good sign - that the HP Fax-back worked, and the fax went into memory.

So that is good in that you can still fax out.

Does the printer's software (or its built-in monitors that you can check) indicate anything wrong in any category? I invite you to look thoroughly, for Drum or Developer faults being listed, or the like.

And, Is the printer networked, or on a direct cable connection to only one computer?

If networked, I invite you to

A. determine its local IP address

B. enter that IP Address into the 'Address' field of your web browser, and press RETURN once. That may bring up a Web-based Utility that will show everything about the printer/copier, including the meaning of the Check Printer light error.