Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I want to store a custom paper size Ricoh SP C430DN printer

Customer Question

I want to store a custom paper size for my Ricoh SP C430DN printer bypass tray for easy retrieval later from the list of available sizes.
For example, via the control panel I can set a custom size of 10 inches long by 4.25 inches wide via the control panel (for Avery mini-Sheets, and that works fine. But how do I set that size to appear as either "Mini-Sheets" or "4¼×10" among the other sizes such as 8½×11, A4, and the like?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It seems to me from examining the documentation, that you can specify a Custom Size, but you cannot store the Custom Size with a name.

Why not try using, as a Paper Size for the Bypass Tray, the

Auto Detect

size instead? you need not enter specifics, and the machine will deal with the size it senses.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Russell,If I were a novice of the type who looks for the “any key” to press, your answer might have been helpful. But…
I am a highly technical user who was looking for a definitive answer from someone who is an expert with the specific Ricoh hardware and its firmware features. For me, "examining the documentation" doesn't quite illuminate. I had already read the documentation and grep'd the directory tree and its hundreds of htm, index, and other files for the relevant keywords.I am a professional technical writer who has written highly technical procedures, courseware, APIs, and other documentation for such major techie companies as Cisco, PayPal, eBay, Adobe, Autodesk, ... Documentation often doesn't tell all there is to know. Sometimes, there is no good way to include special information or procedures within the normal user framework, and that is what I was seeking.Anyway, the "Auto Detect" option exists only for Tray 1 (and the standard trays 2, 3, or 4 if physically installed), where the physical setting for the tray provides the paper size. It is NOT an available option for the Bypass Tray, which only proffers "grief" whenever the Control panel or software setting doesn't precisely match the actual loaded paper, right down to the thickness if the Ricoh print driver expects Middle Thick paper and the control panel expects Thick 1. And, no, unloading (and later reloading) and resetting either of my two standard paper trays is not a viable alternative for nonce printing on infrequent media via the bypass tray (say, an envelope, a few labels, or double-sided card stock for a CD jewel case insert.)I hope you didn't spend too much time researching my question, and sorry for the beating. But this is a pay-for-info deal, so the info ought to be useful and accurate.

That's amazing: the Auto Detect is not an option for the Bypass Tray ?

I got that info right off the documentation for what I believed was your exact printer model, on Ricoh's own website.

It's true, that was late last evening, so maybe I missed a detail. Could you determine and state once again, the model # ***** your Ricoh machine? just to make sure neither of us is wrong about that. I will research it again and cite where exactly I found the source of the advice I gave you.

Or if you cannot approve of my approach to the issue, I will Opt Out of this case. I have no wish to be anything but of use to the case, even if only in my absenting myself from it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The model is as in my original question, but I'll throw in the (unnecessary) Afício brand: Ricoh Afício SP C430DN. I didn't include it originally because the Ricoh branding uses a specialized font for the letter i that includes both the jot (dot) and the acute accent, unlike the accent-only version for the extended-ACSII standard 0237 character that I assume I can use in this text box. [Detail fanatic here!!]The wording in the printer documentation is subtle, but Auto Detect is only available with (firm) trays 1–4, but not the (soft) bypass tray. [I use firm and soft as my own descriptors—they are not in the documentation.]Otherwise, the printer has been quite reliable, prints really well for my many kinds of printing, and the ink cost per page is lower than anything else I had found in my research before buying the printer.Finally, it looks to me like "Opt Out" is a really good idea.

Yes, I get it.

I'm glad to get confirmation of that.

My information source was not for that model after all. I am ashamed, I apologize.

There's no indication that a Custom Size can be saved using the control panel for the Ricoh Aficio series, in *any* model, anywhere... for the Bypass Tray, or for Tray 1-4 either.

Not that I could find, and not that I have ever heard of.

Can I help you in any other way, with this issue?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, thanks.