Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Owner of IT consulting/services company.
59725966

Epson xp-820 I got a note that the ink cartridge needed to

Customer Question

Epson xp-820 I got a note that the ink cartridge needed to be replaced. i have purchased two new ones and I still get the same massage. What should I do?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Larry.

Are you using genuine/oem epson cartridges, or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Epsom 273
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Just because they have the model number on them does not mean it was a genuine epson product, which is what I'm asking. If you bought it at an office supply store, it should be genuine. If it was very low cost, from ebay, etc, then it is probably generic.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In Epsom box bought at Best buy. Will clean as instructed and get back
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did as instructed; still get " need to replace" message.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trying, Larry. When was the printer purchased?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe in 2015. Serial number UF8Y043023
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Than you for confirming.

I ask because this issue then indicates a defective printhead.

In epsons, that is a "fatal error" because epson heads cannot be serviced. The printer would need to be replaced at this point, but if it is still under the 1 year factory warranty, you can call 800.go.epson to file a warranty claim, and they will repalce the printer for you. Be sure to ask for the same model number as a replacement if possible, or the newer xp-830 model, so your existing cartridges can still be used.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.