Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Owner of IT consulting/services company.
59725966

I can't fax to certain fax numbers from my canon mx700

Customer Question

I can't fax to certain fax numbers from my canon mx700 printer. I can fax to those same numbers without a problem from a different fax machine.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
4) Any trouble receiving on this machine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is a dedicated fax line. It is a land line / Comcast is the service provider (bundle package-phone, internet & TV). I don't think there is dsl on the same line. No trouble receiving on this machine. I hope I answered all of your questions.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

What specifically happens when you try these certain numbers? Any particular error/code?

When you fax successfully to those same ones from another machine, is that other machine on the same comcast line? Or elsewhere?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It rings like it is going to go through then it makes a strange noise and it quits. The error report says incomplete transmission. When my wife faxes from the machine at her work (located elsewhere) it goes right through.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

The issue is that she probably has a real phone line at work. What you have is a digital line through the cable company, which doesn't work well (or often at all) with faxes, which are analog and have to be converted back and forth twice or more send.

Chances are the people you're having trouble with are on a digital line too, compounding the problem.
Go into the fax settings menu and disable error correction and set the modem speed (tx speed) to the lowest possible option. These 2 adjustments should allow it to work even with the poor digital line conditions.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.