Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I have a Panasonic Fax, Printer, Scanner combo. I may have a

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Fax, Printer , Scanner combo. I may have a problem with the toner Cartridge leaking. Can you help me?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the toner cartridge leaks, it is defective. Replace it! before it damages something, or proves defective in other ways.

If the old toner cartridge was actually fairly new, return it to the vendor or store as defective, for an exchange - leaking toner cartridges are defective and subject to return-exchange agreements as defective merchandise.

As for the leaked toner - clean it out in this fashion, after removing the old leaky toner cartridge:

It is usual, with all laser printer problems, to Open, Inspect, Clean (carefully), Close Up, and Try Again.

Open: Unplug the machine for safety. Get access to the internal workings, esp. those of the problem area. Remove cartridge(s) if necessary.

Inspect: look for anything wrong or odd in the problem area. Spilled toner? bent or broken parts? stuck sensor switch? tabs or tape not removed from toner cartridge(s)?

Clean (carefully): Take a dry white or light colored high-quality lint-free rag cloth, and wipe firmly all possible plastic or especially metal surfaces that could have toner/paper dust/fluff/anything on them. Carefully, to avoid touching, spraying, moistening, abrading, or exposing to direct light for longer than 1 minute out of 15 or more, the shiny, usually blue-green (but sometimes red-purple) photosensitive 'drum' or roller, which is easily damaged.

Close up: put everything back in, close covers, etc.

Try again: plug in, turn on.

- Let me know what you observe or find out. There may be more to do for the problem.