Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I continue to get the message that my CanoScan 9000F II,

Customer Question

I continue to get the message that my CanoScan 9000F Mark II, "Cannot communicate for these reasons: - Scanner is turned off, - USB cable is not connected." Scanner is turned on and USB cable is connected. All my other Wi-Fi devices are working correctly. Please advise.
Category: Office Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This Canon scanner was purchased Monday, September 21, 2015. Why does Canon implement pay for technical advice, via the internet, no less, on newly purchased products? Does this imply a lack of confidence with this scanner? I am considering returning it as an unsatisfied customer. I researched this product and the reviews are favorable, so why can I not scan???
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

To clarify that error message, first of all: it means, "either the scanner is Off, OR the USB cable connection isn't there."

It's possible that you simply have a USB cable that is defective or has gone bad. And make sure it is plugged in at both ends (and switch it to a different USB port on your computer.)

To clarify: This is JustAnswer.com. We do provide advice for Canon products, but are not an affiliate in any way to Canon.

If the scanner was recently purchased and re-seating the USB cable at both ends, trying a new/different USB port, and trying a different USB cable, all don't change the error message, then you should indeed return it promptly to the vendor or store for a refund or an exchange for another... if the return-exchange period of your vendor or store has not expired already.

If it has expired already, then you may require Canon to fix the problem for free, under warranty terms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought this scanner is wi-fi. Am I wrong?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Specifications for this scanner model at

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/scanners/film_negative_scanners/canoscan_9000f_mark_ii#Specifications

specifically say the interface is high-speed USB (i.e. USB 2.0), and say nothing whatever about wireless capability.