Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Have an OKI MC160n that will not read a new cartridge

Customer Question

Have an OKI MC160n that will not read a new cartridge installed in the yellow toner bay and thus the printer will not print. I have purchased several new cartridges and all of them when installed say "Replace Toner Y" . Unit has worked flawlessly in my home since 2012 (since new) and has never been abused in any way. Less than 1000 copies since new.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you replaced anything else recently? Did you get an extended warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Freddy M. As explained, the only parts changed have been the new toner cartridges (i.e., new Yellow toner cartridges in the same spot on the toner turret) always with same message - "Replace Y Toner" no other changes of any kind, not even moving the unit. Worked flawlessly for more than two years then just one day it would do nothing but give "the message". NO extended warrantee was ever purchased. Examined chip contact registration area for "Y" toner cartridge and it appears clean and undamaged as the other colored and black contacts do. Of course, it could be an onboard circuit board (actual circuit board hidden in the printer shell) that is corrupt; but if so, it is unlikely that parts would be available for repair do to the fact that this models production ended approx. 3 years ago. Even used units are impossible to find (I have tried for months). While auto manufacturers must make replacement parts for 10 years, not so for other manufactured commodities. If it were not for the fact that the photo output was better than any under $1500 LASER printer I have ever seen, and the fact that I have multiple replacement cartridges and a new imaging drum, I would not have given any printer this much time to secure its fix. But if you think it might be some hidden circuit board which in all probability is no longer available, well then this might all be a moot point as well.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

You can sometimes still get parts on sites like eBay and Amazon. If the board was causing this it should happen for all not just the Y, however a failing drum can sometimes show a toner error like this. Here is a disassemble guide so you can check inside the machine:

http://www.mk-electronic.de/spareparts/de/eng/PDFDokumente/OKI/Color/MC160.pdf