Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

Scanner not working on my canon mf4450. syas scangear not

Customer Question

scanner not working on my canon mf4450. syas scangear not responding?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How old is your mf 4450?

Does everything else seem to work ok on that unit?

Also when exactly do you get the error, is it when you try to use the scanner function or as soon as the device is turned on?

Thank You,

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How old is your mf 4450? approx 3-yrs oldDoes everything else seem to work ok on that unit? Yes, i can fax, print & copyAlso when exactly do you get the error, is it when you try to use the scanner function or as soon as the device is turned on?
The problem is when i try to scan. I have toolbox 4.9 installed and it says the scanner is not connected or not functioning because of not responding
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
recently installed win 10
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for the excellent description of the issue and the way you answered my requests for info;-)

Unfortunately this is an internal problem with the scanner part of the unit. Usually the belt will have worn or jammed due to a mechanical problem that may have developed over time. This also can happen if there is a power outage or storm in your area that affects the power at the outlet. It may not hurt all of your equipment some are more susceptible to this. And the fact that electronic components by nature of design can fail at any time. look at how much we spend to sent Hubble telescope in space, millions and it broke down shortly after lol. Just to show that these things happen.

I wish I had better news for you I really do but this problem is going to require the service of either a printer repair technician or even a good local home computer repair shop. its technical in nature.

This unit is however definitely worth the cost of repair and my recommendation to you is to call a local copier tech out to fix this as it shouldn't cost much, but they are the only ones with access to the parts and technical documentation needed to fix this.

I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the copying process uses the same process as scan with the same hardware so i don;t think it's the hardware issue. It's a connectivity issue, not a belt on the scan function. If I feed the paper in the feeder it draws it through and scans the page for copying. It's not connecting to the scan function to the computer
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi you are correct with regards ***** ***** of that, but the error you are receiving has to do with the scanner being unable to function internal. It the generic error that will display when the scanner can not communicate even to the port on the computer.

You could try replacing the communications cable and re installing the driver software to see if it is a software issue, which I'm pretty sure is it not :-(

I hate when the advice given is not good. But it is what it is.

Thanks for your understanding.

I will continue to stick with you until this is fixed as I am also curious as to what they find wrong. I have over 30 years of copier and printer service hands on so I am sure of my diagnosis.

Please rate kindly, you wont lose me and it wont cost you anything to do that, I am only compensated for positive ratings for my time and expertise with you;-)

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your answer was inaccurate. I contacted a repair company ad they suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. That worked. They said I would know by the sound if the scanner was malfunctioning, as you suggested it might be a drive device/gear or whatever. As I said it copied fine, which is a scan function. so it was not at all what you recommended
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi I thought you mentioned that you have already reset the system and reloaded that.

Sorry for the mis communications. I am happy you got it working!

I have a lot of customers and one just almost exact but they did try reloading the software before hand.

Have a great weekend!

Tech Michael