Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

Brother Intellifax 2840 stopped working. Unfortunately the

Customer Question

Brother Intellifax 2840 stopped working. Unfortunately the lcd screen is not working to give me direction as to what the problem is. Trying to copy, and get 3 short beeps. Have tried changing toner cartridge and paper is not empty. Also do not see any paper jams. Afraid to unplug or turn off since lcd screen is not working and wouldn't be able to reprogram sender info. Please help. Think we have had this unit about a year.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you have had it less than a year, the failure of the machine (if that's how it turns out) is covered by warranty from Brother, and repairs (by Brother) will be free of charge.

If it isn't a failure of the machine, unplugging it should reset it and get it working again.

If unplugging it does not get it working again, then not getting sender info reprogrammed would be a moot point, since it won't be working again anyway.

As for doing anything now... it most likely has received a power surge, which has disordered its workings, rather as a blow to the head is said to disorder a higher vertebrate: it's stunned, you might say. (Is it plugged into a surge protector? if not, then that's likely what brought on the problem, and I should mention that a surge protector, for all electronics worth anything, is an investment that always pays off in the long run.)

In a 'stunned' state, its reactions might be unpredictable. So I advise you to simply unplug it, leave it that way for a considerable time (not just a few seconds, but more on the order of 15 minutes to several hours or overnight, to let stored charges dissipate, and reset it thoroughly.)

If there's any reason not to try such a rest-reset, I don't quite understand it, but I'm open to any explanation, I should say. If there is a good reason, let me know and I'll advise you further if I can think of anything else to do about the problem.