Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

My SG 3110dn needs cleaning. SG (57000) error. How do I find

Customer Question

My SG 3110dn needs cleaning. SG (57000) error. How do I find the sensors which need to be clened?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. This is not a sensor issue why do you think it is? This error is a belt error, how old is the machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2-3 years. We do not use is so much only some laboratory tests now and then.
I think it is a sensor problem because of a previous answer I found on you site - http://www.justanswer.com/office-equipment/96ppm-aficio-sg-3110dn-error-code-sc-57000-fix-it.html#
I paper got stuck in the printer and I took away the paper container in the bottom of the printer and took out the sheet backwards. The the printer started to clean the belt. After a while it stopped and the error message came up. I lifted the lid and noticed that it was ink on the belt and also ón the cylinders upon the belt.
I unplugged all cables if this might coould help. When it started upagain the belt cleaning went on as before.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Nothing in that answer said it was a sensor. He actually said it was a belt error the same way I did just now. Did you already try the manual cleaning? There is no sensor to clean. You would want to remove the drum then clean the entire machine as best you can paying most attention to the belt. If it looks in any way frayed or worn it would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I remove the drum? Do you have a picture or drawing showing what to remove?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I would like to try to help you with the problem, if it is not too late to try to do so.

If you need to remove the drum and do the cleaning of 'things generally' inside the printer, then there are some things that we need to be certain of, first:

1: is your printer a Samsung made printer, or is it a Ricoh Aficio model ?

2: have you ever replaced a drum before, in this printer? or in any printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Ricoh Sublimation printer SG 3110dn
2. No - in any printer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Two things you need to know:

1: the 'drum' or photosensitive roller, in any laser-type printer or copier, is very sensitive to damage. By being touched, being gotten wet with *any* kind of liquid, by being scraped or dinged, and by being wiped even with a *dry* cloth, and even by being out in the bright direct light for too long (i.e. over 1 1/4 minute or so of direct light of reasonable brightness per 1/2 hour.)

2: you cannot miss identifying a 'drum'. It is always shiny, metallic but colored, and (usually) blue-green.

Being able to take precautions (not touching the drum surface at all with anything, and putting it away in a dark emptied desk drawer or similar clean undisturbed dim place, which you are working on cleaning the printer) is all you need to take care of, with regard to removing or replacing a 'drum.'

Do you think you can manage that? or would you rather hire out the cleaning-maintenance e.g. to a servicing company? if 'no' to that last, I will give you further instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a laser type printer. It is an sublimation ink jet printer.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

My apologies. I frankly know less about sublimation ink printers than about laser printers.

So some of the advice I have offered so far is completely inapplicable! and I apologize.

But, in a way, that should make the task much simpler. In a non-laser-type printer (whether heat-transfer, inkjet, or sublimation-ink) you need to be careful mostly of one thing: touching, breaking or contaminating the printhead. The 'drum', is of course, nonexistent in such printers.

Re-reading your question's original posting with care for all details... it sounds actually rather like a laser printer problem: parts have become out of alignment with each other, probably owing to rather less than gentle or otherwise improper paper removal after a jam. And you mentioned a 'belt', which also suggests a laser printer.

I honestly do not know how to re-align this sort of printer, if the parts need re-aligning or the like. Usually the printer should re-align itself - which it has failed to do.

If there is a belt, there is a way for the printer to 'read' the belt's position.

If so, then it may not be the 'sensor' that 'reads' the belt's position (possibly by a tin-foil-like silver reflective patch or square on one edge of it) that needs cleaning, so much as that path that the sensor 'reads'.

But again - I am not sure I know my way around your sort of printer. I am advising you on general principles. Would you like to continue with me, or should I Opt Out of this case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I am in a hurry, I have already got a new printer. I will try to clean the old one when I have time for it - look for the sensor as you suggested.
I´ll try to manage to do it without any more help.
Can you please inform me if you going to debit my account for this you have done up to now. I do not want a subscription. Please confirm that it is only a one time debit.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I have no power over charges, payments, billing, or subscription terms or status. I have to refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us