Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years of Experience in Computers and Electronics. Office Equipment Expert.
23511658

I'm trying to scan using my canon imageclass mf4150 to my

Customer Question

I'm trying to scan using my canon imageclass mf4150 to my mac using os maverick - can't get it to find the scanner.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

How is the device connected? Is it connected directly to the Mac or is it connected to the network? If it is connected to a network it's a little bit more complicated but not much really. You just have to make sure that you have the driver stalled for this specific device otherwise it may not include all the options such as scanning. If it is on the network, do you have other devices that are using it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's connected directly. I have the driver for the printer and fax installed but I can't find a driver for the scanner anywhere unless it was included in one of the others. Is it not possible to scan using these devices together?
You can, but I've done a little research and it looks like there is scanning functionality that is missing from the current OS X drivers. The only way around this is a third-party scanning driver. Here is a link to the one I found
http://bitli.es/8qC6HU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, that's good. I downloaded it. Now how can I scan? On my old PC I did it through Picasa but that doesn't seem to be an option in Picasa on the Mac. I spend about an hour trying different things, opening the Canon through printers & scanners, trying to find a way to scan in Photo. Still not sure how to get the computer to tell the scanner to scan.

Of course that will be the next feat to be accomplished.

that is how it should work, but if that doesn't work there are other ways depending on what version of OS X you have.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  2. Select your scanner in the list at the left, then click Open Scanner on the right.

If your scanner is also a printer, you may need to click Scan on the right before you can click Open Scan