Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I upgraded to windows 10 and now scan does not work on my

Customer Question

I upgraded to windows 10 and now scan does not work on my canon color imageRUNNER C1030if. How do I fix this problem?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What happens when you try to scan?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing. Appears to be scanning but then says "No reply"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I look in my canon scans file there is nothing there. It was working with windows 8.1
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Try scanning this way instead.
In the search box type in wfs.
Click on windows fax and scan.
Then click on new scan.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what search box? I am a novice at all this computer stuff.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
In windows 10 on the bottom left there is a box that says search web and windows.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I do what you say, it lists only my HP Officejet Pro 8600 and when I select change scanner, only the hp office jet is there to select
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for your call now.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I apologize I have been trying to find an updated scanner driver for you, but have only come up with printer and fax drivers. Which could mean the scanner portion of this machine is not compatible with windows 10. In case anyone else has an idea I will opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I am Expert Russell H., and I would like to suggest what I thought of on reviewing your question thus far.

You may need to use the Windows 8.1 driver - given that there is one - or whatever the latest driver is, for the Canon printer.

First, go to Control Panel, and Devices and Printers.

Locate the icon for the Canon printer. Select it with one click, Delete it with the Del key.

Then, download, and save the install file for the Canon ImageRunner driver. (If you don't know where to download it from, I will instruct you. Let me know if that's the case.) Do not 'Run' the download, just Save it, if prompted.

Then, locate the saved file, where it was downloaded to, once the download is all done and finished for sure. Right-click on the file, and select Properties, then select Compatibility and set it for 'Windows 8.1' - or whatever version the latest driver for this printer is intended for.

Save the Compatibility setting by clicking on OK until the Properties sheet closes and disappears. Then double-click on the install file, and do the install over again.

That *may*, hopefully, provide the scanner function, as well as the printer function. Try it, and/or let me know what further specific information about this procedure you might need. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From where do I download the Canon Imagerunner driver?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The web page is

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/office/color_imagerunner_copiers/color_imagerunner_c1030_c1031if/color_imagerunner_c1030if#DriversAndSoftware

and the Windows 10 entries there do not include anything but printing drivers, no scanner drivers, so indeed the Windows 10 entries have not been updated enough to include scanning as a function.

If you have a Windows 10 64-bit installation, then choose Windows 8.1 64-bit I advise... download the one driver there that includes scanning: the

Canon_User_Software[etc.]

and remember to Save not Run it - for Compatibility Mode cannot be set if you choose Run, and the install will fail! So save it, then when downloading is complete, right-click and set Compatibility to Windows 8.1 64-bit.

(If you have a Windows 10 32-bit install, choose Windows 8.1 32-bit or just Windows 8.1).

Let me know how it goes, please. I like to hear, if my advice has been successful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to set he compatibility mode to window 8.1 64-bit but the only choice it gives me is windows 7.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then try downloading the Canon User Software, from among the Drivers listed, for

Windows 7

as a choice of operating system, on the page referenced. And set Compatibility Mode for that file, once it is downloaded fully and Saved, to Windows 7. See if that works.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did no work, but I am not sure if I installed it. When I doubled clicked on the downloaded file, it asked me to extract it and when I did that it asked if I wanted to replace an old file with the new one. I selected "yes to all". Then tried to scan and it did not work. Do you have the ability to take over my computer and do what you asked me to do to make sure I did it right?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you set compatibility mode first, before double-clicking on the downloaded file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I did.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

When you set Compatibility Mode, did you also click on OK afterwards, to save the changed setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe I did not do that. Let me go through the process again and make sure this time.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please do. That will make sure all is done right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, finished and it still is not scanning.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Restart your computer, please. That might doubtfully get the changes in the drivers into active use and displace after erasing what of the old drivers (or lack thereof) are in memory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rebooted and still does not scan
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm left with no other conclusion than that Windows 10 and this machine's scanning function are not yet supported. You may have to wait until a Windows 10 scanning driver is written for this device and posted on the downloads page that I recommended to you.

In the meantime: does the machine still print OK, with the compatibility mode driver that you have now installed? if so, then compatibility mode is working. If not, then it isn't, and some other solution than 'wait until they write a Windows 10 scanner driver) may be possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer function of the machine has always work. It just will not scan after I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I understand that. But now you have a compatibility mode driver installed. Does the printing now work, please? it will indicate what is wrong to some extent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
printing is fine.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, then. The Windows 7 driver works for printing, then, in compatibility mode.
The scanner driver should work, too, then. Or, be workable with a few adjustments.
Is the Canon machine networked? I would presume so. Is it networked through wireless or a wired connection? And has that networking changed in any way?
Also, what firewall software do you have on your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is not on the network and it is a wireless connection to my computer. I have Norton and anti virus software. If anything has changed, it is because of the up grade to windows 10. I made made no changes myself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have fixed the problem. I read an article on line about Norton 360 not working properly after upgrading to Windows 10. It suggested to uninstall and reinstall Norton 360 and that should change settings that cause communication problems with printers. I did that and now the scanner works.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I seem to have pointed you in somewhat the right direction - and was correct, that the scanner driver does indeed work, but the firewall might have a problem.
I'm glad to hear the problem is solved!
Please rate my Answer - or Reply indicating what rating you would wish to have applied to it. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.