ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

Re MFC885CW, and Win 7 64bit. From CC3 you select ''Receive&

Customer Question

Re MFC885CW, and Win 7 64bit. From CC3 you select ''Receive'' from the fax menu to receive a fax on the PC. The MFC885CW screen indicates "connecting with PC", and then a message on PC says "Fax Receive must be started to receive faxes" The Fax Receive icon on the taskbar then disappears, and the menu on CC3 goes from "view Received", back to "Receive". Software and drivers have been re installed, and MFC885 has been turned off and rebooted. Also tried to receive faxes on another PC with the same result.ThanksAthol**********
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.
Hello Athol,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
This error message indicates that there is another application using the port that the Brother software was configured to use. To resolve this issue, follow the steps listed below:
1. Verify the Brother Remote Setup application is NOT running. This program cannot run at the same time as the PC-fax receiving application. If the program is running close it.
2. Remove PC-FAX Receive from the startup folder if it is present:
a. Go to Start => (All) Programs => Start Up.
b. Right click on FAXRX and left click on Delete. If FAXRX is not listed, continue to STEP 4.
c. You will be asked if you want to remove the shortcut, select Yes.
3. Go to Start => (All) Programs => Brother => MFL-Pro Suite or XXX-XXXX => PC-Fax Receiving.
a. If you continue to receive the error click OK to close the error message(s) and then continue to STEP 4.
b. If you DO NOT receive an error message follow the steps listed below:
i. The PC-Fax receiving application should be running in the startup tray. Right click on the icon and left click on PC-Fax RX Setup.
ii. Click the box next to Add To Startup Folder.
iii. Click OK.
iv. Restart the computer. The issue should now be resolved.
4. Uninstall and reinstall MFL-Pro Suite. Before you uninstall the software, ensure that you have a compatible driver CD or the Downloaded software so that the program can be reinstalled.
a. Click Start => (All) Programs => Brother => MFL-Pro Suite or XXX-XXXX => Uninstall. You will be asked if you wish to remove the program, click OK.
b. For local users, disconnect the interface cable. Wired Network users may leave the interface cable connected.
c. Restart the computer.
d. Once the computer restarts, reinstall the software for the Brother machine using instructions for your operating system and connection type.
5. After the computer restarts attempt to open the PC-FAX Receiving application to determine if the issue has been resolved. Click Start => (All) Programs => MFL-Pro Suite or XXX-XXXX => PC-Fax Receiving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, please note my comments. I have actually used Brother software to completely remove all installations re MFC885CW. Then downloaded the latest Drivers/Software from Brother and re-installed them. All other WLAN functions including Fax send (from PC) work correctly. Also note that "Fax Receive" is not working on other PCs on our network. It was working fine on all until recently. Maybe it has stuffed up after some Windows updates?