Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I need to know how to set up my brother MFC-L2740DW PRinter

Customer Question

I need to know how to set up my brother MFC-L2740DW PRinter so that I can receive calls and faxes
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. How to set up the Brother machine depends upon your other devices on the line. (And also, whether it is a digital phone line service, such as MagicJack, UVerse, Vonage, etc.)If you have other devices, e.g. a phone handset, answering machine, etc. on the same line, you must connect the Brother device to the line first, then connect the other device(s) to the 'Phone' jack.If you want various ways of responding to incoming calls, you should set the Receive Mode setting for Fax Settings to the appropriate value. Let me know what way of responding you want, and I will give specifics.As for receiving calls, I think you would need to activate or turn On the TAD (for Telephone Answering Device.) And set its settings up properly for intended usage, also. (Do you have a manual to consult about these functions and settings ? if not, I can provide one.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell - Thanks for your response. But I am still a bit confused. I have a digital answering system and it is hooked up the phone line. The Brother printer/fax is hooked up to a wireless router. There are a couple of ports in the rear of the brother printer and I am not sure which port the line from the router should be plugged into. I am using the same phone number for calls and faxes. So, I would like to configure the line so that when a call comes in the answering machine will respond after 4 rings, and if the person on the other end wishes to send a fax, when they press the send button on their end, my fax machine will respond it that request. I hope that helps. If you can send me a manual, that would be helpful. If you need additional info let me knowWhat I would like to configure is
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, I can advise you - and thanks for the explanation of what's involved in the hookup.
No line from the router should be plugged into the Brother device - unless the line from the router gives phone service. (If it does, be warned: it would be digital phone service, and fax machines often have problems, to say the least, working with digital phone service.)
The ports on the rear of the Brother device will be at least two in number. You need the find the one labeled 'Line' and plug the phone line from your phone service, into that one.
Then you need the one, probably nearby or next to it, labeled 'Phone', and plug the line to your answering machine to it.
Be warned again: you might not be able to get the setup to work quite as you have described. But let me know:
1. what phone service you have.
2. is your internet service DSL or ADSL internet? or something else?
and I will completely advise you as to what to do and how to hook it up. I'm looking for a manual for you, meanwhile.