ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

How do I have a fax and an answering machine on one line

Customer Question

how do I have a fax and an answering machine on one line
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
To have the fax and answering machine on the same line, try the following:
1. Put the two devices near to each other, and within reach of the phone wall jack.
2. Go to the fax machine. Take the telephone line with the clip on the end of it that comes out of the fax machine. Put that into the telephone wall jack.
3. Go to the answering machine. Take its telephone line with the clip on the end of it and put that into the BACK OF THE FAX MACHINE. The port on the back of the fax machine should say EXT or something similar.
4. Set up the fax machine. Start with the Initial Setup menu option, and set "Receive Mode" to "External TAD." "TAD" stands for Telephone Answering Device.
5. Next, still in the fax machine menu options, go to the Fax Setup menu option, and Setup Receive. Set the ring numbers on the fax machine AND on your answering machine to 4 rings, as this usually works best.