Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

RED LIGHT IS ON THE TOP LEFT SHREDDER WILL NOT WORK, PLEASE

Customer Question

RED LIGHT IS ON THE TOP LEFT SHREDDER WILL NOT WORK, PLEASE HELP
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the trouble.
If you still need help with this, may I ask the Make & Model of your shredder?
May I also ask the AGE of the unit and WHEN this issue first began?
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ativa HD 1600 5 years old 16 pages maxium. Problem started yesterday, also what is your telephone number
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
That appears to be a relatively light duty unit.
So may I ask if the unit was being used at the time that it stop working OR if you know the last time that it was used?
May I also ask if the power cord was disconnected for a time (in case of overheating), and then reconnected?
Thanks
P.S. I can not offer a phone number at this time.
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I found and want to send you a page of the Ativa site, that has contact information for them - in case you have not found it yet.
http://www.ativaproducts.com/contact.html
Please note that the support folks MAY be reluctant to help since this is an older (out of warranty) unit.
There are also links on that page to Frequently Asked Questions, so you may want to give those a look too.
Please let me know what you find - when you can.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This shredder is for home use . We used a couple times a week. It never overheated. the problem started when I empty the bin. When I went back to use it the red light came on.Model No HD 1600
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - I don't have a detailed diagram, but MANY of these units have "switches" or "sensors" that keep it from operating if the bin is not fully installed or is not installed "just right".
If you can pull the bin all the way out and look around inside with a flashlight - you may be able to see the sensor/switch, and then try "test it" by giving it a push or pull - just as the bin would when installed.
Then replace the bin and try to "feel" that switch being touched by the bin. The power the unit up again and see if it works again - as normal.
Please let me know what you find, and in the mean time I will see if I can find a diagram of this switch and the bin.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)