Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Owner of IT consulting/services company.
59725966

I lost my fax capabilities on my Cannon MIXMA MX350

Customer Question

Category: Office Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your service was much better before I paid a $5 deposit. Now there is nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happened to the chat I was having with a technician
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Hi there, and sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Please understand that it can take a few minutes for an available tech to see and respond to your question. Posting multiple replies though just slows the process down, as each time you send another response you get pushed down the queue, delaying the process further.
Should you wish to continue, your patience would be appreciated to give us time to respond.
Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:
1) Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
4) Was working previously and just stopped now, or if it has never worked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) This is a shared voice/fax line
2) This is a VOIP service with Vonage
3) Yes, VONAGE is using the WiFi dsl service
4) Yes, I was able to fax previously, and noticed the loss of service a month ago. I don't use the fax capability very often.I thought I just needed to connect to my access point in the fax setting, but once that was done it goes through the motion, with a dialing display, but it just won't dial. I get an Error TX Report that shows #017 No Tone Detected.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
So your vonage phone service (using telephone handset) is functional.Is the canon physically plugged into the vonage device (voip gateway)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the voyage phone service (using the telephone handset) is functioning fine.No the Canon printer is not Plugged int the voyage device. It is accessing the network wirelessly, and it worked wirelessly previously. I am still able to print to the printer over the wireless network from different computers connected to the wireless home network. I also noticed when I call the fax number provided by Vonage(###) ###-#### ***** doesn't pick up.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what you are trying to do is simply not possible.The printer cannot fax via wifi.The canon requires a hardwired telephone line connection. That doesn't have to be landline service, vonage is ok (though voip faxing is prone to errors and often doesn't work well), but you still have to run a phone cord from the canon to the vonage device. The vonage device can be a wifi or wired ethernet model. The telephone wire connection from canon to vonage box is still necessary though. Without that, the printer has no phone line connection to send/receive, and why you get no dial tone error messages.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Interesting. I guess I will have to confirm that answer with Canon.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You certainly may, but I am positive they'll tell you the same thing.The machine can only fax via the internal fax modem, which requires a telephone line connection. You can "print" to the fax, from your computer, via wifi, but the canon would still need that wired phoneline to transmit. I'm assuming you did have it connected previously and either disconnected it or relocated the printer?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,