Engineer John C
Engineer John C, Equipment Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified
23822421

I am getting error code 2,179,14 on my LIDE 210 scanner. Error

I am getting error code 2,179,14 on my LIDE 210 scanner. Error Message says "Release the Lock Switch, detach the USB cable and reconnect." I have tried this many times and it doesn't work. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michelle: Thank you for your message. As now, I have not had any answers to my question. I would still like to have a reply. If you are unable to find an answer soon, let me know and then I'll cancel. Thank you. Fred

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  Engineer John C replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

If you try the scanner with a different computer, do you get the same issue?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. I currently only have access to one computer. I just unplugged the scanner from my PC to take it to another computer, but unfortunately that computer is unavailable for at least a few hours. I plugged it back in, and the scanner seems to be working. Ugh! This problem began a few months ago, I have had the scanner about a year.

OK, so does it work now? Probably you plugged it into a different USB port?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is working right now. No, I plugged it back into the same USB port that I have been using, which is a Staples 19040 USB port adapter. When I have had this problem in the past, I have tried plugging it in and out of the USB port, and found that usually that doesn't make a difference. Occasionally the problem will go away, then re-appear.

Is that Staokes USB hub AC powered?

If it isn't AC powered then probably is the cause of the issue.

Try to use a AC powered USB hub like this one -----> http://goo.gl/9yFjH <===== CLICK HERE

OR connect it directly to a USB port in the computer.

Scanners require more energy than other USB devices, so it needs to be plugged directly to the computer (if possible), or using a powered USB hub.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.
Engineer John C, Equipment Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John C:

My Staples 19040 USB hub is not powered. I almost always have it plugged into the USB hub, because of the location of the USB ports and my desk arrangement. I would have said that I also experienced this problem when plugging directly into the USB port on my PC, but I currently can't say that for sure. I do have another perhaps related question. When I plug the scanner USB cable into the PC port, I frequently get a message saying device driver software is being downloaded, but I don't recall this happening when I connect via the USB hub. Does that make sense?

Yes, probably sometimes the computer doesn't recognize the device when you use it from the USB hub.

Please try to use it always connected directly to the computer. Leave the USB hub for other devices like USB pen drives, for example.

Connect scanners, printers and USB hard drives directly to the USB ports on your computer, or using an AC powered hub.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX