Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Does having pid twice mean tubes are scarred? My last pap

Customer Question

Does having pid twice mean tubes are scarred?
JA: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: My last pap was 1 year ago. And about 6 years ago i had cancerous cells froze off. A couple of weeks later is when i was diagnosed with pid the 1st time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No thats it.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually just because you have had two episodes of pelvic inflammatory disease does NOT mean that you tubes are scarred. It is very likely that the tubes are NOT scarred, it is only in a small percentage of the cases that the tubes get scarred. In an overwhelming majority of the cases, the tubes and the uterus remains intact without any damage.

Now PID is a simple infection which when caught in time can be treated very easily with the help of antibiotics. Usually the scarring of the tubes occurs when the PID remains undiagnosed for more than 2-4 weeks and then it is not treated that can lead to the scarring but in most cases this does not happen.

Infact you can get an ultrasound done which would indicate that your tubes are normal and not scarred.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 days ago.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.