Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

If a mother had herpes for a year but hasn't had any

Customer Question

If a mother had herpes for a year but hasn't had any outbreaks , will she transfer it to her baby during delivery ? Also will doctors announce it in front of everyone that I have it in the delivery room ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

The mother is unlikely to transfer the virus during delivery if she has herpes for a year without outbreaks. Herpes transmission is very rare in this situation, and the chances are strongly in favor of having no transmission of infection.

The doctors and staff will be sensitive and will know your history, and will not announce this in front of everyone. Please do not worry regarding this.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

Dear customer,

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Herpes isn't a blood diease ? Like can I die from it ? Should I take pills on a daily even without an outbreak ? I can always transmit it to my partner ? I'm thinking I had it for years and it just popped up last year . Don't know how to tell my partner because he says he always got tested and always been okay so I haven't said anything nor had sex during an outbreak . I barley get outbreaks will it stay like that possibly ?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Herpes is not a blood disorder. You will no die due to this infection. Without any outbreaks there is no need for daily medication. You will not always transmit to your partner, and without any outbreaks the transmission risk is very low.

It is likely that you will stay like this without any further outbreaks.

Take care.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But there is something called a shedding period ?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Transmission occurs more commonly during the active stage and during outbreaks. Shedding of virus also occurs more frequently during the first 6 months of infection, since later due to antibody production by the body there is less shedding.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Once my baby arrives will they check the baby for herpes ? Or he will be okay ? His father doesn't know I have it because I didn't have any outbreaks and we only had sex once . He recently got tested and have been fine . I don't want him to know because we aren't even together . Im just nervous of transmitting it to my baby and my baby father finding out

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars so that we can continue with the discussion.

Thank you.