Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Experience:  I have had years of experience with Outpatient Medicine and have treated many routine GYN disorders.
18722459

I have a yeast infection which is not responding to

Customer Question

I have a yeast infection which is not responding to Nystatin. Can you help me?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I saw a doctor's assistant about 3 weeks ago. She prescribed the Nystatin. When i couldn't reach after 2 weeks of that, I renewed it, but it now seems to be getting worse. I am 86 yrs. old and have never had this before. I do wear Depends and wonder if that contributes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really - I have a great immune system (no colds for over 10 years, no flu ever.) I have age related coliosis and spinal sclerosis.
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: No fever, not sick, no medical conditions - only allerfges are to sulfa and codeine.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome I'm Dr Chip

Can you tell me what your symptoms are please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A soreness/rash in the genital area. I saw a doctor's assistant 3 weeks ago, and she examined me, diagnosed it as a yeast infection, and prescribed Nystatin ointment. She said it should clear up in about a week, but to continue to apply the ointment for a full 2 weeks. It cleared partially, but not entirely. I tried to reach her by phone and couldn't (and then she was off for 4 days) so i renewed the ointment and have continued using it. Not making progress in healing.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

OK

Then you have a particularly resistant case of vaginal candidiasis and for that you'll need oral Diflucan 150 mg once a day for three days--that should clear this up

So get back with her so you can get a prescription for that

Please let me know if you need any more information