Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I had a question about the plan emergency contraceptive

Customer Question

I had a question about the plan B emergency contraceptive pill
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No I haven't. And currently I am taking no medications except for valacyclovir occassionally
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took plan B 5 days ago and my period ended 6 days ago. Today I woke up and when I wiped off there was blood. It was not just spoting, it was a good amount of blood that resembled my period. I am wondering if I should be worried about pregnancy or if bleeding is normal after taking plan B.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you have concerns about pregnancy. When Plan B works, it causes one to abort any pregnancy and results in a "period" regardless of when you are due. So, the fact that you had what is a period, Plan B worked for you by causing you to abort. There is no reason to be concerned about pregnancy at this time. You should expect your next period to come at its normal frequency.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The last time I took it I do not remember having this problem. I just got my regular period.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

At this time, since you just got your period, you are not pregnant. The Plan B that you took either brought on your period which is what it is supposed to do by changing your hormone levels. This is usually the way Plan B works. Its primary use is to prevent an egg from attaching to the uterine wall. The "bleeding" is the result and it usually works in this way.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any additional thoughts, questions?