DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I am 39 years old and a heavy drinker. Lately due to

Customer Question

Hello. I am 39 years old and a heavy drinker. Lately due to extended visits with family, holidays and vacations my consumption is up to a bottle or a bottle plus a glass of wine a night. A couple days ago I went to the ER for excruciating pain and ultrasound revealed I have a 8cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary. My dr wants to remove it asap, like in the next 2 to 5 days. I would like to take it out as well because I am in pain. I have had only a glass of wine yesterday and plan no more alcohol till surgery. But can I have surgery at all due to my previous use of alcohol? Will anesthesia be too dangerous? In the ultrasound they looked at my liver which was only slightly fatty. I exercise vigorously 5-6 times a week, eat extremely healthy and have no other health problems. Not overweight. Last liver enzyme test was just over a year ago and was all normal.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Yes you can have surgery even with a history of alcohol use in the past. Your ultrasound revealed only a fatty liver and if the enzymes and synthetic function of liver are normal there is nothing to worry about. You will have to take a pre-op anesthesia fitness as well and you are likely to be declared fit for surgery.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am suddenly in excruciating pain again and am possibly going to er. If they perform emergency surgery today but I had alcohol last night still ok?

Yes it will not add to any further risk of anesthesia

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Regards

Do you have anything else to ask ?

Regards

Do you have anything else to ask ?

Regards