Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I just took a pregnancy test and it was positive. I am 38

Customer Question

I just took a pregnancy test and it was positive. I am 38 years old, a smoker and on the weightloss drug phentermine. I was not planning on the pregnancy, obviously. My last period was 8 weeks ago. I also have been drinking alcohol through the holidays, much more than normal. I am guessing this is a high risk pregnancy and considering the abortion pill. Do you think I have any chance in having a normal child without birth defects? Trying to weigh my options, but unable to get an OBGYN appointment for 3 weeks.
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: My periods have been off for a year now, about 6 weeks apart. I do have cramping in my side. It feels like when I ovulate, but I guess that is not it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not at all
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 months ago.

The risk of fetal anomaly is about 2 times higher in smokers than in non-smokers. There may also be pregnancy problems like placental bleeding, low birtt weight of the baby, preterm labor, miscarriage etc.

Risks of fetal alcohol syndrome is also quite high if you have been taking alcohol throughout the first trimester.

In your case, you have a number of risk factors for fetal anomaly - your age, smoking, alcohol. While chances of a normal healthy baby cannot be ruled out, you also run a very high risk of a fetal abnormality although a specific risk number is ***** to suggest.

Please consult with your obgyn for a checkup and an ultrasound of the pregnancy.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. if not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.